"Excuse me?"

Rudaba was genuinely confused at to who she was and how she knew so much about her and Zain's life. She turned to Samra for help who was already looking around the venue in search of Zain and Usman.

"Samantha, let it be please."

"What? I am just here to inform this misinformed lady about her husband. Did Zain tell you about me?"

Rudaba was beginning to feel really uncomfortable with the whole situation and Samra could sense it well. She gave no response to Samantha who began again, herself.

"Well, we used to date before you came to our lives!"

"I am sorry?"

"Yes! You should be sorry. You came and ruined our life. We were so happy before you came! It's been a year since he left me because of you. Ask Samra!"

"Samantha, please! It was a year ago and he didn't leave you because of Rudaba..."

"Oh, leave it. I know everything."

Rudaba had tears in her eyes but she was gulping them. The situation was getting out of hand and she just wanted to run away from here. So, that's what she did. She stood up in an attempt to leave when Samantha came in her way to stop her.

"I haven't finished speaking yet."

"I don't want to hear or say anything. Please let me go."

"What did Zain see in you that he left me for you?"

Samantha had passed a dirty look towards Rudaba when she had said this. Rudaba had never felt this disgusted and sick before. The discomfort was all over her and she just wanted to hide from this moment. A woman she had never even heard of was creating a huge scene in front of everyone and she had no power to control it. She tried to get out from side again but this time she was stopped. Again. But this time it was Zain. He had held her wrist and had stopped her from leaving. Walking back to the table, Zain kept Rudaba's hand in his hold and faced Samantha.

"She is my wife. And I don't allow you to speak to her like this. Do you hear me?"

He had said in a composed tone, but his power was there. His back was stiff, and he had a stern expression on his face. Samantha almost took a step back and trembled.

"But you left me because of her, I was just..."

"You were just what? I left you because of you not because of her! Now spare me and my wife, you have wasted enough of our time."

Zain tightened his grip on Rudaba's hand and walked towards the exit when Usman's voice stopped him.

"I am sorry, Zain. I didn't know she would this..."

"Tumne usey bulaya hi kyun tha?"

"Mujhe kia pata tha yaar..."

"Rehne do, Usman. Ham ja rahe hain. Enjoy your party!"

Rudaba had said nothing in all this. She had no idea how to react. The pain of losing Shahroze was not yet fully over yet and here she was being put in dilemmas she had no understanding or control over.

She just kept watching Zain from his back walking ahead of her. His hold was firm, protective and warm. The warmth she could relate to. The warmth she didn't find uncomfortable. The hold she didn't find uncomfortable.

------------------

They sat in the car and the journey home was being made in silence. A lot of thoughts were crossing and colliding in Zain's mind but more than anything he was angry at himself. He was the reason for Rudaba's discomfort and pain. It wasn't settling well with him. He had broken up with Samantha almost a year ago. At that time, there was not a single sign of Shahroze or Rudaba's wedding let alone his wedding with her. Samantha didn't know the full story but had accused Rudaba and insulted her so much. He was hating himself for it.

They got home, and Zain went over to Rudaba's side and held her hand again and walked inside the apartment with her. She didn't resist either as if she was looking for even the tiniest bit off comfort that she could possibly get in this restless situation. They got inside, and Zain had let go off her hand as if he hadn't he would end up taking her to his room. And he didn't want to hurt her even more so instead of saying anything else, he silently went inside his room. Rudaba was just stood in the middle of the living room alone with no clue to what to do. She felt so helpless and weak. What was taking over her, she had no idea, but it was painful. Wiping the reminiscent of the tears off her eyes, she also made her way towards her room.

On the other side, Zain was restless in his room. He wanted to clarify his position in front of Rudaba but was not able to find the courage for it. He was deep down hoping that Rudaba doesn't confront him over this. He knew she was his friend first and she would understand but he was still fearful. Of what, he had no idea. Maybe, he was scared to lose Rudaba now that she had found the truth. But why was he scared of that? This wasn't a love marriage. If she left him, why should it hurt him? They were friends before anything else. Then, why was he feeling so vulnerable to the point that the prospect of losing Rudaba was scaring him. He sat for hours on his recliner while the thoughts in his mind would not rest.

Later in midnight, Rudaba came out to the kitchen to get water when she saw that the lights of Zain's room were still switched on. She wanted to go in and check if he was okay but then she was also feeling reluctant as to what he might think if she dashed into his room this late at night? After minutes of confusion, she walked towards his room and thought once again before finally knocking the door.

Zain didn't respond, not because he had fallen asleep but because he was too lost in his thoughts. So, Rudaba tried again. This time, Zain heard it and opened the door only to find Rudaba.

"Kia hua? Tum theek ho?"

"Haan, mein tu theek hun. Tum soye nahi abhi tak? Mein paani lene ayi thi toh deikha tumhare room ki light on hai, toh socha puch lun..."

"Haan bas aise hi. Neend nahi arai thi. Lekin mein theek hun."

"Sure?"

"Absolutely." He had passed her a sad and tired smile, though it was genuine. A part of him was content at her coming to ask if he was okay.

"Acha, so jao. Raat kafi hogai hai. Mein bhi jati hun."

Zain nodded and Rudaba turned to leave when his voice stopped her in her tracks.

"Rudaba?"

"Ahan?"

"I am sorry."

"Kis baat ka?"

"Woh ju shaam mein hua..."

"Woh ju shaam mein hua, woh tumhari ghalti nahi thi, Zain. Aur mein tumse kyun naraaz hun... jis tarah mera aur Shahroze ka bhi ek past tha toh tumhara bhi... khair tum so jao. Phir kabhi baat kareinge is bare mein. Mein tumse naraz nahi hun."

"Mein tumhe batana chahta tha bas sahi time ka intezar kar raha tha. Aur Samantha ne baat ka zarurat se ziyada bigara. Ham dono sath thay bhi toh sirf kuch maheenon ke liye thay aur hamara aisa koi rishta nahi tha jo mein tumse chupata. Woh ek khudgarz aur matlabi larki hai, isiliye ham ziyada deir sath nahi chal sakey. Meine isliye tumhe abhi nahi bataya tha. But I didn't woh aise aj tumhe itna insult.... I am sorry. I really am."

"Zain. Meine toh koi explanation mangi hi nahi aur na hi mein tumse naraz hun. Tum fikar nahi karo. I trust you."

She had smiled, genuinely and had turned to leave. Zain had felt a sense of reassurance and relief by telling her and by seeing her reaction. As if, his fear had gone away. His heart felt at peace and comfort now that he had told her his side of the story. He was concerned about clarifying his position to her because no matter what the circumstances were, she was his wife and its her every right to know what her husband's past was. But the feeling of fear and worry had gone away and that part he still didn't understand. But time would lift every fog and would bring all clarity to him and her.

Time had to. There were no two ways about it.

--------------

Feedback!!