Chapter 17

Zain had returned to the apartment and had gone straight in his room. Rudaba had followed him but by the time she got in, Zain had already locked his room door. She was confused at how Zain was so different just then and she had questions, but she didn't know if she had any right to ask them. After thinking enough, she made her way to Zain's room to ask if he is okay. But after reaching the door, she had changed her mind and instead went to her own room.

She wasn't sure why he was acting like this and deep down it had hurt her. The lessened distance between them was something that should make her uncomfortable, instead, she was fine with it. For some reason, she was happy that she was learning to move on with Zain and that they were getting the chance to build on their relationship. But Zain's sudden withdrawal was so unfitting to her. His move to leave made her nervous. Why he suddenly walked off, she had no idea, but it was affecting her, and she was not liking it. It was bothering her. It was unsettling for her heart that he was so close to her yet so far. Why she was feeling all this, she had no idea. The thoughts were all over her mind, but she had no solution or answer to them. Leaning against the crown of the bed, she closed her eyes and allowed the peaceful sleep to take over.

----------

In the other room, there were questions, there was anger and there was regret. Zain was questioning himself for letting his guard down. He was angry at himself for going close to her and he was regretting that he touched her when he shouldn't have. She didn't love him. And he promised himself that he wouldn't pressure her in any way then how could he let his guard down?

Something was pulling him towards her. A connection. The connection that he had began to feel for her and it was not friendship because that was different. The connection that made his heart skip a beat when she smiled wholeheartedly or when she acted dramatic about things that she should think of the least. The solace he felt when she was happy and encouraging with the kids she met in hospital. The discomfort and worry that took over him when she was upset and cried in her room alone. She thought he never found out, but he did. He knew when she was sad, he knew when she cried, and he knew when not to ask her things she didn't want to answer. Why was all this so new for him yet it felt so right? Worrying for her, caring for her or trying to make her smile was becoming his habit and it all felt right. But what was it that was making him do all this?

"Mujhe Rudaba ke itney kareeb nahi ana chaiye tha. Woh kitna hurt hoi hogi meri is ghalti sey. Woh Shahroze se pyaar karti hai toh meine yeh kaise kardiya..."

He thought to himself. This was what his mind was telling him. But the voice of his heart was different. His heart was telling him that he loved her. His heart was telling him that he did nothing wrong and that it was his love for her that was making him go near her. He did it because she was his wife and he loved her.

His face was sweating as he restlessly walked here and there in the room. Was what he had been feeling for so long, was love? If it was, then he realised that he fell in love with Rudaba. Without realising and without understanding but he loved her. Unconditional and selfless love.

The realisation was striking but it felt good. If he loved her then he didn't need to keep distance from her. She would take time, he knew, and he would give her that time. But, he won't stop his own self for showing his love to her.

For what he did earlier, he had to apologise to her and this is how he was going to make up with her. His lips curled into a smile with the prospect of realising and believing that he loved Rudaba.

------------

The next day brought with it, its own warmth and positivity. Rudaba was in her room going through her book shelves when she heard the door knock. Hearing her faint approval, Zain opened the door and walked inside. Rudaba turned towards the door and after seeing Zain looked away.