4 ; "mom?"

Prescott Valley, Arizona
June 30th, 2018

Prescott Valley, ArizonaJune 30th, 2018

-

"Mom?"

Casey felt goosebumps spread over her skin, and she nodded towards Elizabeth. She hadn't been called that name in a long time, and it felt good. Tears involuntarily began to fall from her eyes and she smiled, opening her arms towards her daughter. Elizabeth hopped out of bed and bolted towards Casey, who wrapped her in a hug.

"I've missed you so much," Casey whispered in her ear. "So, so much."

"I missed you too, mom," Elizabeth said, her voice muffled in Casey's shirt. "We all did."

Casey held her for a bit longer, letting her tears flow. Eventually, she pulled away and wiped under her eyes with the back of her hand and looked up at Sam, who was also crying. Rosie had her head buried in Sam's shoulder, peeking out at Casey.

"Hi, sweetie," Casey said, reaching out to touch Rosie's hand.

The toddler pulled away and looked at her dad, who nodded as if to say 'it's okay'. Rosie looked back at Casey and then held her arms out to her. Casey took her from Sam and wrapped her in a hug as well.

Casey knew Rosie wasn't going to remember her, considering she was only 6 months old when she had died. Now, at 2 years old, she was only used to being around the boys and her sister. Sam had shown her pictures of Casey, but that didn't change the fact that she didn't know her as her mother-figure.

"Mom?" Rosie asked Sam, poking Casey. Sam chuckled and nodded.

"Yes, that's your mom," Sam said. "The same one from all the pictures and stories."

"I know you don't remember me, but I remember you. You've grown so much..." Casey paused, feeling herself get emotional again. "I'm sorry I missed so much of your life,"

"Casey," Sam said, shaking his head. "It's not your fault. They both know that."

"How are you back?" Elizabeth asked. Sam and Casey looked at each other, debating how to explain it to her.

"You were dead, weren't you?" Elizabeth asked, her voice trailing off.

"Castiel brought me back," Casey said. "I know it's confusing. I still haven't really made sense of it myself. I wish I could tell you everything, but.."

"You'll understand it more when you're older," Sam added. "As you learn more about these.. things."

Casey knew Sam was referring to hunting and the supernatural and the whole 9-yards. When the kids were born, she told herself that she wouldn't let them get involved in all of that. It was all out of her control now, considering their mom was brought back from the dead by the angel they had been around for the last two years.