Separated(part 2)

When Derek woke up the next morning Stiles was still at his computer desk, but this time he had a coffee in his hands as he frowned at the screen.

"You're still up?" Derek commented, causing Stiles to jump. The coffee leapt from the cup and onto his shirt.

"Derek, I didn't wake you, did I?" Stiles asked, grabbing a napkin he had next to him. He wiped at the small stain as he looked over at Derek.

"No," Derek knew that if he'd had his werewolf abilities, he would have heard Stiles but he tried not to dwell on that.

"What time is it?" Derek asked, sitting up.

"Almost nine," Stiles answered looking at his computer screen once again.

"Stiles, you need to rest too. You've-"

"Here, I got you a towel and I swung by your place to get you a change of clothes and also to see if maybe your wolf-self had shown up there, he hadn't. Anyway. I hope that's okay." Stiles cut in gesturing towards a pile of clothes on Stiles' dresser.

"Thanks," Derek frowned but didn't say anything else. He hadn't even heard Stiles leave.

"I called Deaton and the rest of the pack. We're all working on getting this thing figured out. Scott, Malia and Isaac are trying to find your wolf. Lydia and Allison are looking for the Faery that did this, to try and find out how to undo it. Deaton and Liam are looking into the riddle to see if they can decipher it."

"And you?" Derek looked at Stiles. He looked worn out. His eyes were bloodshot from staring at the computer screen all night. His shirt was stained with fresh coffee and his hair was a mess from his fingers spending half the night tugging at it. His shoulders were taught with obvious stress.

"I'm taking care of you," Stiles gave small lopsided grin.

Guilt washed over Derek. He didn't want to be the reason Stiles was sleep deprived and full of worry.

"I'm sorry. I just wanted her to leave. She wanted you, and I..." Derek trailed off. Stiles had pleaded with Derek not to let her get to him, but it was Stiles. She had taken a keen interest in the human and had offered him a spot in her court. Derek didn't know why a faery would want a human in her court, but she was insistent he was special. When Derek had heard, he immediately put Stiles in 'protective custody' refusing to let him be alone. Which had of course led to a heated argument between the pair. Derek having lost said argument had decided to confront her. He'd threatened her and she didn't take it well.

"I get it, but you shouldn't have, Derek. Was this really worth it?" Stiles gestured to the ex-werewolf.

Derek only dropped his eyes.

"Go shower, we've got work to do." Stiles urged, turning back to his computer.

Derek didn't argue, instead he grabbed his clothes and towel and closed himself in the bathroom.

Once Stiles was sure Derek was in the shower, he let his head drop into his hands. He hadn't told Derek that Lydia and Allison had found the faery less than ten minutes ago, shredded to pieces by what Stiles was guessing was Derek's wolf. He was too afraid to take that hope away from Derek. Not until he had some good news at least. Stiles was actually glad Derek didn't have his werewolf abilities, it made keeping his emotions in check much easier. He didn't have to worry that his scent was betraying his acting abilities. Derek had to take Stiles at his word.

Once out of the shower, Stiles tried to convince Derek to eat something but the ex-alpha insisted he wasn't hungry.

"I figured we could try and find your wolf," Stiles said, grabbing the keys to his jeep.

"I don't know where to start," Derek frowned. He'd been sure his wolf would find Stiles.

"Well Scott, Isaac, and Malia were checking the woods. We assumed he would still smell like you," Stiles gave a shrug, before opening the door for Derek.

"Stiles, I...I don't know how to do this," Derek shook his head. "Being human I mean." His eyes fell the the floor between them.

"Hey, listen to me," Stiles put his hand on Derek's shoulder causing him to look back up. "I'm gonna be right here the whole time. And if anyone is good at being a useless human it's me," Stiles gave a wink before leading Derek outside.

Derek didn't say anything as they made their way towards the parking garage.

Stiles was just about to unlock the jeep when a growling sound caused Stiles to pause.

"Uh, Stiles," Derek said backing slowly away from the jeep.

Stiles walked around to see a wolf crawling out from under the jeep, his teeth bared into a vicious snarl.

"Is that..."Stiles shoved the keys into Derek's hands and dropped to his knees between Derek and the wolf.

"Hey, Der, it's me, Stiles," He put a hand out, palm facing upwards.

"Stiles what are you doing?" Derek went to reach for Stiles, but the wolf lunged with a vicious snap causing him to jump back.

"It's okay, I've got this," Stiles urged Derek to back up.

Hesitantly Derek obliged.

The wolf crept closer his snarl lessening as he neared Stiles hesitantly.

"That's it, see? It's me," Stiles had hoped the wolf would recognize him as his pack member.

The wolf pressed his nose to Stiles' palm.

"I've got you, big guy," Stiles' hand cupped the chin of the wolf, giving a gentle scratch.

Derek watched with curious eyes as his wolf grew closer to Stiles.

"Okay so he doesn't like me, great, that'll make this easier," Derek quipped sarcastically.

"This is a good thing, that means he trusts me, and we know where he is. Now we just have to find out how to put you back together again," Stiles frowned, his hand now scratching behind the wolf's ears. "Like humpty dumpty," Stiles grinned widely.

"Humpty dumpty never got put back together, Stiles," Derek huffed in annoyance. He didn't know why he was so annoyed suddenly. Perhaps it was the way Stiles was so comfortable with his wolf.

"Yes he did, all the kings horses and all kings men...couldn't put humpty dumpty together again, shit, you're right," Stiles frowned as he realized how the rest of the nursery rhyme went.

"What are we gonna do with him?" Derek huffed, gesturing towards the wolf, earning a low growl.

"Derek," Stiles snapped standing to face the now human. "I know you're frustrated, but you need to relax. He can sense your hostility."

Derek's jaw clenched.

"I told you, I'm going to figure this out, didn't I?" Stiles put a hand on Derek's shoulder.

This earned another growl from the wolf.

"Would you stop being possessive, this is literally you," Stiles snapped at the wolf as he gestured towards Derek.

Just then his phone beeped with a message.

"Deaton thinks he has something. Can you two ride in peace together?" Stiles snapped, glaring at Derek and his wolf.

When neither responded he opened the door and the wolf jumped in first. Derek begrudgingly followed suit.

Stiles pinched the bridge of his nose. This was beyond frustrating.