Separated(part 1)

The knock on Stiles' door at almost three a.m. wasn't nearly as alarming as the sight on the other side. Stiles was used to the pack showing up at odd hours with questions, concerns, research requests, but the one person who never just showed up was Derek. He would always call or text first, making sure he wasn't bothering Stiles. So when Stiles opened his door to see Derek looking like a terrified puppy, dread washed over him like a tidal wave.

"Derek?" Stiles glanced behind him, expecting someone else but the alpha was alone.

"I-I didn't know where else to go," Derek's voice was weak and quiet, very different from the usual authoritative tone he held.

"What's wrong?" Stiles moved aside, allowing Derek into his small one bedroom apartment.

"I..." Derek's hands were shaking as he ran them over his face.

"Hey, look at me," Stiles took Derek's hands in his, forcing the alpha to meet his eyes.

Derek let out a sob before burying his face into Stiles' chest.

"Whoa," Stiles didn't know what to do. Derek was not an affectionate person, ever. It only made Stiles worry more.

"Hey, talk to me," Stiles coaxed Derek gently, his arms wrapping around the alpha.

"She took it away from me. I'm...I'm nothing," Derek sobbed.

"What? Who took what?" Stiles pulled back so he could see Derek's face.

"The Faery. You were right, I never should have confronted her," Derek's head dropped to his chest.

"Oh, Derek," Stiles sighed as he led the alpha to the couch. "What happened?"

"I'm...I'm..." Derek buried his head in his hands.

"What did she take?" Stiles urged Derek to continue. He'd never had to console Derek before and didn't know the first thing about how to do it. What was the protocol for when your alpha shows up on your door in tears?

"My wolf," Derek sobbed into his hands.

"Wait, what?" Stiles hadn't been sure he heard that right.

"I'm just human now," Derek looked up, his eyes red from the tears.

Stiles' mouth fell open. Derek had been born a wolf; he'd never had to be human before. He couldn't imagine what he was going through.

"I don't understand, how did she-"

"She split us up. She used some spell and separated me from my wolf," Derek cut in.

"Wait, you mean there is a wolf out there just roaming around?" Stiles gestured towards his door.

Derek nodded.

"We need to find him, er you, or whatever," Stiles shook his head in confusion.

"I thought he'd come here," Derek's shoulders slumped.

"Why would you think that?" Stiles' face scrunched in the way it often did when he didn't understand something.

"It's the first place I came," Derek shrugged, his eyes not meeting Stiles'.

"Right, but this isn't you. I mean...not really you. This is your animal side. They don't think like humans do so..." Stiles waved his hands around as he spoke. "Where would your wolf want to go?"

Derek swallowed. He had genuinely thought his wolf would come here. Nobody knew, but Stiles was Derek's anchor.

"Nothing, really?" Stiles threw his hands up.