Bourbon flavored kisses

The wind whipped across Derek's face The night sky was overcast with the promise of snow. He stood with his arms stretched out in front of him, holding the logs Laura loaded them up with for the fireplace. He could hear the loud laughter of his father floating across the yard as he greeted the first of their guests.

"Mom said Cora's gonna be in late, and Savannah won't be with her," Laura said, rubbing her hands together to warm them before grabbing two more logs from the pile that sat under the woodshed awning.

"No loss there," he responded. His attention flitted in and out of their conversation. Instead, it shared focus with trying to hear who the arriving guests were.

"Do you think she finally broke up with Savannah?" Laura's tone was hopeful.

Derek only shrugged. He strained his neck to see what cars were in the driveway when he couldn't make out the voices.

"I can't help but notice you didn't invite anyone... again," Laura glanced sideways at him. She grabbed Three more logs and started back toward the house.

Derek's attention turned back to Laura when he noticed the car in their driveway didn't belong to the Stilinskis. "So?"

"So... Don't tell me you're still hung up on Stiles." Laura accused with sympathetic eyes as she wiped her boots on the rug outside their back door, smearing dirt into the green floral design.

Derek empathized with the rug. Laura wasn't gentle with him either.

"He went to college last year. When are you gonna move on?"

"Can we not talk about this?" Derek grumbled, letting the screen door slam behind him.

Laura placed her logs into the firewood rack that stood next to the large brick fireplace before unloading Derek's arms.

"I'm not trying to pry. But you've been mooning over him for what? Three years? You need to either make a move or move on."

Derek's jaw clenched.

"Is he coming tonight?" Laura asked, setting logs gently so they didn't tumble from the rack.

Derek only shrugged, causing one of the logs to shift, almost sending it crashing to the wood floor.

"If he is, I say go for it."

Derek glared at Laura. She knew why he hadn't made a move.

"Don't give me that look." She pointed a finger at him.

"He's Cora's best friend," Derek said, as if she needed the reminder.

"So? She doesn't want to date him. She's unfortunately dating Savannah. I promise you she wouldn't care. Besides, she probably already knows how you feel about him." Laura took the last of the logs from Derek.

"Laura," Derek said in a low growl. "What did you do?"

Laura pressed her lips together as she brushed her hands down her jeans. "Just trust me when I say she won't care."

Derek was about to press, but before he had the chance, his mother interrupted.

"Derek, Vernon, and Alicia are here. Laura, could you get the last plate of cookies and set them on the table, please?" Talia asked, her hands full of wine bottles.

Derek glared after his sister before heading to the foyer where Boyd and his sister were shedding their coats. The chill from outside swirled through the small room before being snuffed by the warmth of the house.

"I'm so glad you're here," Derek threw an arm around Boyd's shoulder, leading him to the kitchen.

"You threatened my life. I think your exact words were. 'Don't leave me alone with these wolves or I'll rip your throat out'. Very creative," Boyd laughed.