Chapter Thirteen

Nicole's phone rang just as she and the others were leaving the hotel. She pulled it out and checked the caller ID. "It's Judith Ann," she said.

Nicole's breath shortened and she noticed Coolidge looking at her through the rearview mirror. He probably wanted to know about Judith Ann and Austin as much as she did. Had they survived the night, or was this one of the coven humans calling?

She pushed the answer button and brought the phone to her ear. "Judith Ann?"

"Finally!" the girl shrieked.

Nicole held the phone away as Judith Ann continued shouting.

"Where on earth are you, Nicole? I can't believe what you've done. You've completely abandoned my father's things! I thought I could trust you, but no one is here to guard them! And everything has been damaged. It's going to take me forever to clean this up, and my father will probably sue you. His equipment was expensive, Nicole, and rare!" She paused. "Are you listening to me? Hello?"

Nicole couldn't respond at first—her stomach was somewhere near her feet. She'd totally forgotten Judith Ann's request. She hadn't even checked that the shed was locked up.

"Yes, I'm listening. Look, I'm sorry, but you have no idea, Judith Ann, no idea at all what happened last night."

"I don't care. It's going to take all day to clean up this wreck. Are you coming to help?"

"We're on our way. We have to search for survivors."

"Good. I have some calls to make." Judith Ann hung up.

Nicole thrust her phone into her purse and glared out the window. She felt Coolidge looking at her again and her cheeks burned.

He cleared his throat. "She's upset?"

"She has a right to be—I was supposed to watch over her father's equipment yesterday. I totally forgot."

Coolidge shook his head. "Anyone would've forgotten under the circumstances. Don't beat yourself up over it too much."

"I didn't even check before going to bed." She swallowed, trying to get the bitter taste at the back of her throat to go down. "I can't believe how careless I was."

The student sitting next to Nicole—a tall, freckled guy—put his hand on Nicole's arm. "It's going to be fine."

Nicole nodded, but the sick feeling in her stomach didn't leave. Almost everything that had happened after going to bed had been out of her power, but before that? She should've at least remembered to make sure Howard's people had locked up when they were finished.

"Are she and Austin at the campsite, then?" Coolidge asked.

"Judith Ann, yes. I don't know about Austin."

No one said anything the rest of the drive. Nicole's stomach gradually returned to its proper place, and the sick feeling was replaced with determination. She would make things right. And as soon as possible.

Coolidge pulled up near the campsite, and Nicole hopped out of the Jeep.

She immediately spotted Judith Ann by the shed, talking to a police officer—probably tattling on Nicole. Great.

Nicole turned and surveyed the rest of the campsite.

Seeing the destruction in the light of day was shocking. She couldn't believe how much damage the invaders had caused. It looked like they'd continued rampaging after she and the others had left. Tents were strewn across the ground. Food items had been scattered into the wind. Sleeping bags were shredded and dragged everywhere. The Jeeps had been knocked over. Only a few structures remained upright—a couple of the tents, Nicole's included, and the shed.