Chapter Seven

Thursday and Friday were over far too quickly, and Saturday morning dawned cloudy and rainy. Nicole sighed, staring out the window while she picked up spider traps alone. For the first test, she'd been assigned a time slot at seven in the morning, and it was Lizzie's only opportunity to sleep in. Nicole was fine with that—the girl was up way too early every other day.

Butterflies erupted in Nicole's stomach each time she allowed herself to think about the upcoming tests, especially the one on magic. She tried hard not to dwell on it, but couldn't help it. Hopefully, the experience wouldn't scar her for life. Hopefully, Coolidge would overlook her inability to do anything magical. And hopefully she'd still be able to go to school without feeling like an idiot.

Nicole practiced in the living room with a mute, knowing the sounds of her cello wouldn't wake Lizzie. She was determined to squeak even a small bit of magic out of her instrument before leaving.

But nothing worked, and she ran out of ideas. For the last five minutes of available practice time, she stared at her music, unwilling to feel any emotion of any sort—excitement, nervousness, sadness.

At six thirty, Nicole packed a sack lunch, then put away her cello, her pulse quickening. She had to try several times to grasp the buckles on the case—her hands were shaky and clammy. She wiped her palms on her jeans and pulled herself to her feet. She wasn't ready for any of this—she couldn't possibly be ready.

Nicole walked to her car, hoodie up and hair tucked where it wouldn't get wet from the rain. She drove to the museum and studied the pages stuck to Coolidge's lab door. With so many students competing, apparently Coolidge and seven of his doctorate and master's students would be administering the first test.

The classroom she was assigned to was down the hall and around the corner. She glanced heavenward when she saw Judith Ann's name next to her own. What were the odds? Maybe Nicole would get lucky and not see the girl. But then—and Nicole's finger pressed against the paper as she read it—Austin was also scheduled with them. It occurred to Nicole that since they were all in the same class, they'd be assigned to the same time and area. That made sense.

Nicole found the place, her breath stuck in her throat. Four rooms were tucked into a corner. Professor Coolidge was leaning against the wall in the hallway, holding a clipboard behind his back, staring up at the ceiling.

Many students were sitting along the wall, studying. Nicole assumed they were doing last-minute memorization. She grabbed her notes, wanting to do the same.

A door opened moments later and Austin stepped out, adjusting his backpack.

Coolidge clapped him on the shoulder. "And that's why I double-booked your room—knew you wouldn't need it long."

Austin brushed past Nicole, not meeting her gaze. She rolled her eyes. So he was back to ignoring her. Whatever.

Professor Coolidge went into the room and shut the door—probably to check Austin's work and rearrange the items—then came out and sent the next student in. He resumed his stance.

Judith Ann walked around the corner, saw Nicole, and stopped short. "Still trying to play grown-up games, huh?"

"What is with you?" Nicole asked.

Judith Ann opened her mouth to respond, but Coolidge cut her off.

"There will be no conversation before or after the exams. Please, wait in silence."

Nicole breathed a sigh of relief and continued studying her notes. Her stomach grumbled, reminding her that she had eaten a very light breakfast. She ignored the temptation to eat her lunch, popping in a piece of gum instead.