Chapter Three

Lizzie got her chance to check Coolidge's hair fairly soon. The class that was using the auditorium hadn't let out yet when they arrived for the info session, and Professor Coolidge waited near the doors with the students.

Lizzie pushed her way through the crowd, dragging Nicole, who casually looked around for Austin. There he was, leaning against the wall about twenty feet away. Oh, and of course Judith Ann was there as well. Nicole recognized a couple of other students, but couldn't remember their names. She turned her attention to Lizzie, who'd engaged Coolidge in conversation.

"So, Nicole found her focus yesterday, but it didn't work. Does that happen often?"

He shook his head. "No, not usually."

Lizzie peered at him and gasped, hands to her mouth. "You do dye your hair!"

Several students turned, and Coolidge sighed in exasperation. "Did you have Professor Whitman today?"

Lizzie nodded, lowering her hands.

Coolidge glanced heavenward. "Great." Then, obviously wanting to change the topic, he looked at Nicole. "It seems we'll be working together outside of class this semester." He folded his arms, briefcase dangling from one hand. "Cello, huh?"

She shrugged, not surprised that Professor Peterson had already contacted him. "Apparently. But as Lizzie already told you, it doesn't really work for me."

He nodded. "That's fine. We'll figure something out. I've got two other students who meet with me on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I'll have you join us. I've already emailed you the details."

The doors to the auditorium swung open and a deluge of students flooded out, separating Lizzie and Nicole for a few moments. Nicole was still near Coolidge and turned to him, blurting out a question. "I can sense pulses from other students, but my friend, who Restarted months before me, can't. Why?"

"You're more determined." He nodded at Nicole and disappeared into the room.

Nicole followed at her own pace. She hoped he was right—he had to be. But if she was already ahead of Lizzie, why could Lizzie Channel, when she couldn't?

The two friends found each other and took their usual seats. Many students from other sections joined them, and Nicole groaned to herself. She wasn't competing just against her class to go on the expedition, but against pretty much every undergrad on campus—Professor Coolidge taught many, many classes. What had she gotten herself into?

Coolidge turned on the projector and hesitated before putting his hands on the desk and looking out over the students. "We'll go over the schedule momentarily, but first I need to emphasize again that the expedition will be dangerous. My colleagues disagree with me, but I don't want to be caught ill-prepared. I'm bringing weapons, including guns and knives. The fact that several people—two this week—have gone missing can't be ignored."

Nicole and Lizzie met eyes. Nicole hoped Professor Coolidge's feelings were off. She wanted to go, but had no desire to end up in a deadly situation.

Coolidge waved his hand. "Oh, the authorities have always attributed it to one thing or another. Indian attacks and difficult weather in the earlier years, lost hikers and camping gone wrong in later ones. But as technology and search and rescue operations have advanced, authorities are no longer finding easy ways to explain away the disappearances. People do get stranded in the occasional storm, yes, or even while camping. But entire families? And when was the last time a group of Native Americans attacked?"

The students chuckled and Professor Coolidge smiled. He waited for a moment, eyes scanning the group, then sat on the desk. "I hesitate bringing this up because I don't want to scare you needlessly, but strong evidence has been found of something most of you won't believe to be possible.