4 × girls stick together

Start from the beginning

Mira was thankful she wasn't alone now, that girl waltzing in washed her fear a considerable amount, but now that fear flooded back tenfold as she watched the girl clenched her fists at her sides. It's like Zack was right beside her.

"I really won't push it if I were you. I don't know where my brother went but you're all going home with your tails tucked between your legs if you don't leave our sights now."

The guys exchanged smirks and laughed. "You two are really testing my patience, huh?" The one upfront made a grab at Chae Eun. "Come here, you bi—"

It all happened so fast. Mira watched as the girl side-step and connected a fist with the guy's stomach. He doubled over with a loud groan and the girl wrapped an arm around his shoulders to set him upright. The guy was all types of disoriented. The movement was quick but Mira saw the girl grab something inside her pouch. Next thing, she had a hand near his crotch and holding against it what appeared to be something pointed and metallic. Mira startled. Is that a knife?

"Now I'm going to make this very simple," Chae Eun whispered to the guy's ears. "Either you and your pals walk away now, continue your night or whatever, or I cut off your little friend right here, right now without even breaking a sweat." She pushed the tool deeper into his groin and he hissed, tensing. The rest of the guys made a move forward and Chae Eun only smiled at them. "One more move and all your friends will be joining together on the ground. Believe me, I'm really good at this craft." They didn't move so much as a muscle.

Mira watched on, both in fear and in awe. If you don't look close enough, nothing would seem out of the ordinary. The girl was smiling, her arm around the guy's neck not too tight for it to be considered threatening. Not one from the crowd passing by them noticed anything peculiar.

Chae Eun finally relaxed her fingers when the guy nodded, stuttering an agreement. "See? Very simple, no?" She was releasing him from her hold when she pulled him in again, menace lacing in her voice as she spoke. "If you're thinking about getting back at me for this, I really can't stop you. So take a good hard look at my face now." She turned to look the guy in the eye. "But next time we meet again, I'll be swinging and hacking first before you can even say a word." And with that final threat, she released him and the guys scrammed. Chae Eun looked on their retreating sight with a satisfied look on her face.

"Are you okay?"

The question shook Mira out of her dazed stupor. Her eyes wandered to the girl's hand, to the item she was wielding. Chae Eun noticed the slight fright glossing over her eyes and she followed her gaze. "Oh. No, no this isn't what—" Chae Eun held it up to reveal what it really was. "It's a nail file. For my nails. It's not a knife, I swear." She even held it up her head so Mira can see it in a clearer light. That seemed to calm her down.

"Thank you so much for that. I don't know what they would've done if you hadn't intervened." Mira bowed her head to show her gratitude. When she looked up to look her on the face, she recognized the girl. "Chae Eun?"

"You know me?" She was surprised. "I mean, I know you. I think. Is your name Mina?"

Vasco did cautioned Mira that this friend of his was a tad bad with names. He often talked about her whenever they get together with the guys at the convenience store or on their unplanned get-togethers. "Close. It's Mira." She held out her hand for Chae Eun to shake. "It's nice to finally meet you. Vasco told us everything about you."

Of course, he did. Chae Eun took her hand and shook it, smiling sheepishly. "All good things, I hope."

"When I said everything, I meant everything. Don't worry, though. Vasco's a really good judge of character so you're cool in our book."

"Our book?" Looks like Eun Tae found himself a couple of friends while she was away. Good for him.

"Guess you haven't met them yet. I'll introduce you to them in school. We really should hang out in campus, y'know?" Mira smiled at Chae Eun and the latter could tell that she was as sweet a person as her smile.

The two were now walking together, the glare of the streetlights following them. "Are you on your way home earlier?" Chae Eun eyed the bag Mira was carrying. It's from one of the bookstore she had visited.

"I just picked up some things for my brother. He wasn't feeling well and I wanted to cheer him up. I was walking home when those guys appeared."

"Do you live around here?" Mira nodded. "I'll walk you home then. I want to see you off safe. Those guys can still come back."

"Oh! There's really no need. I can walk up to there on my own. I should be the one offering to walk you to the bus stop. You're not from around here, are you?"

Chae Eun put her arms up in mock surrender. "You caught me. No, but really, I insist. I'll walk you home. You can see what I can do, I can take care of myself."

Pursing her lip, Mira decided to let Chae Eun be and agreed to let her walk her home. Can't hurt to have someone protecting you. Though she felt worried about how Chae Eun was going to go home, walking to the stop on her own. Her house were only a few blocks away and after a small talk-filled walk, they reached Mira's house.

"I really can't thank you enough." Mira was actually thinking of ways to repay her for the trouble she saved her from. She didn't land on an idea just yet but she'll come up with it. "But that doesn't mean I won't try."

Hearing a thank-you didn't hurt anybody but Mira seemed to be thinking of a tangible appreciation for her good samaritan act and that Chae Eun couldn't readily accept. She's awkward with gifts. Sure, she loved giving away but not so much when she's at the receiving end. "Don't think about it too much. I would've done the same thing for any other person."

"All the more reason to thank you. Just the idea of someone like you out there helping us girls with experiences like that. Again, I really can't thank you enough."

"You really don't have to. I can just say you're welcome and call it a night."

Mira grinned. "I'm not really asking for your say here. I'm merely just letting you know." She nudged her playfully on the shoulder. "I should head inside now. My brother must be looking for me. Be careful on your way home, okay? I'll see you in school!"

Only when Mira disappeared into her door did Chae Eun left and turn for the bus stop. This encounter of theirs surely was the start of this semester being interesting for a change. Chae Eun just doesn't know it yet.