Vanessa shook my hand. "It's nice to finally meet you as well."

   I gave her a smile before an awkward silence fell over the group, Blair's parents eyeing me.

   "Well, let's eat." Blair said, breaking the silence.

   Marry nodded. "Right, of course."

   She led us into the kitchen and I took a seat next to Blair.

   Vanessa sat across from us as Marry set a few plates.

   "So, Jane, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?"

   "Mom!" Blair said before I could reply.

   I laughed a little and squeezed her hand from under the table. "It's ok, Blair... I'm thirty-five"

   Vanessa seemed shocked. "You do realize our daughters only nineteen?"

   Blair hung her head and groaned.

   "Yes, but we're both adults and hey, age is just a number right?"

   Vanessa laughed a little, but it sounded forced.

   Eventually, Marry joined us with the food and we ate in silence. It wasn't until after dinner that they started asking more questions.

   "So, Jane, how did you meet our daughter?" Marry asked.

   I turned to Blair, not really sure how to answer that.

   "At the diner." Blair answered.

   They nodded, but I don't think they bought it.

   It continued like that for a few minutes. I could tell they weren't happy with the age difference and I was starting to feel like I made a mistake.

   I stood up and excused myself, heading for the bathroom.

   I splashed some cold water in my face before looking in the mirror. 'Well, they hate you... but, you love Blair and you're not gonna bitch out now. Besides, who cares what they think? They're just her parents for Christ's sakes!"

   I rolled my eyes at myself before drying my hands and heading back downstairs.

   Blair's raised voice stopped me in my tracks.

   "... that doesn't matter to me, mom!" She yelled.

   I slowly crept down the hallway, listening to their conversation.

   "She's twice your age, Blair!" Vanessa replied.

  "So what? I care about her, mom, and she cares about me!"

   "I don't care, you are not to see her anymore!" Vanessa yelled back.

   Blair went silent and I decided now would be a good time to sneak out. I might've loved Blair, but I wasn't gonna be the person to come between her and her parents.

   I quietly closed the door behind me before heading off to my car, a few tears welled up in my eyes.

   'You're so stupid. Did you really expect this to go well? She's nineteen fucking years old!'

   Just as I opened my car door, I heard her voice. "Jane! Wait!"

   I looked up to see Blair charging out the front door. "Jane-"

   I put my hand up, cutting her off. "Blair, I'm sorry... but, your parents are right. We were crazy to think this could work..." I said with a sniffle.

   "It doesn't matter what they think... all that matters is how we feel about each other."

   I gave her a sad smile as a couple tears rolled down my cheeks. "Blair, you're only nineteen, you still have your whole life ahead of you... and you shouldn't be wasting your time on someone like me."

   She stared me in the eyes, tears pouring freely from hers. "Please don't go, Jane..."

   I took her hand in mine, giving it a gentle squeeze. "I'm sorry... but, I have to."

   She lowered her head, taking in a shaky breath. "Jane..."

   I lifted her chin with my finger before pressing my lips to hers one last time. "Goodbye, Blair..."

   Then, I got in my car and drove off, refusing to look back... even though all I wanted to do was go back there and tell her how much I loved her.

   But, I couldn't... I refused to pit Blair against her parents... even if that meant hurting her, because in the long run, I knew I was doing the right thing.

   I wiped a few tears from my eyes. "I love you, Blair... and I'm sorry..."