Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

"I'll be in touch within the next few days if that's the case. In the meantime, if you remember anything else Miss Grey don't hesitate to get Doctor Ealing to reach out. No matter how trivial you may think it is, it could help us considerably in our case against Mr Warrington."

"I will."

"Excellent. Doctor Ealing, I'll be in touch."

I watched as the Constable tucked his small notebook into his pocket and stood up with his helmet still under his arm. Doctor Ealing followed suit, using his knees to push himself out as he stretched out his hand for the Constable to shake. As they exchanged pleasantries, I glanced around towards Robert who was still staring out of the window as though it was the most important thing in the world. Since the Constable and I had started talking, he had barely said two words other than to answer questions directed towards him about the fire or the comment he made after the Constable had told us about the foreman. Something was on his mind, but I didn't know what it was.

Whilst Doctor Ealing escorted the Constable out of the drawing room and down the hallway, I pushed myself up from the sofa and slowly approached Robert at the window. The shaking in my hands had slowed down considerably since I started talking to the Constable, but I pressed my hands tightly together as I approached him. The sun was shining through the window directly onto Robert's face as his eyes were fixated on a small spot within the treeline. His eyebrows were furrowed together, and his mouth was drawn into a thin line as though he was in deep thought.

The sound of Doctor Ealing and the Constable's conversation faded away, I stood beside Robert with neither of us saying a word. Instead, we both stared out the window at the trees that looked as though they were glowing in the sun. A comfortable silence fell across us and I felt as though I could hear Robert's heartbeat, though I knew that wasn't possible. The two of us had grown used to just standing in the silence, allowing it to sit there as though it were another person in the room. With anyone else, I would have felt the need to say something and break the silence, but I was fine with Robert.

"I've known Alexander for as long as I can remember, we grew up together and all this time he knew what was happening. I knew he was strange, but I never thought he would be involved in such a thing," Robert said, removing his hand from his trouser pocket and running it through his hair.

"You couldn't have known what he and his father were doing. I didn't even know who they were, and I would have seen them both. You cannot blame yourself for what they were doing," I said.

"I know, I know." He sighed slightly, shoving his hand back into his pocket. "I shouldn't be complaining, how are you doing today?"

"Dealing with it, I suppose. I'm just glad the foreman is finally getting what he deserves, we've been waiting for this day for a long time."

"Were you really there for seven years?"

"It felt like a lifetime. Suzanna was there longer, twelve years or so I believe."

"Wow. I can't begin to imagine what that was like for you all. I suppose it explains why you are all so close."

"We're family. We all had to grow up far too quickly, but we always had each other to rely on. Isabel was only five when arrived and, although I was terrified about it myself, she needed someone to look out for her. We had to look out for one another, only I wasn't there when she needed me most."

"Stop that, okay? The only person at fault here is the foreman. You can't blame yourself for something he did." Robert placed his hand on my upper arm and squeezed it slightly. I know he was trying to be reassuring, but no amount of reassurance could stop the guilt that was bubbling away inside of me.