Day 21: Surprise!

Start from the beginning

Death realized how fragile Geno actually was. How... weak. And he was ashamed to say that these things has to happen before that simple fact sink into his head.

He let out a another sigh which made Geno curious as to what he may be thinking about. "I won't let it happen again. I'll protect you." Death mumbled to himself.

Geno was about to ask what he meant when Toriel came in and called them for breakfast.

They walked into the dining area, Death and Geno were surprised to see a feast on the small rounded table. There were freshly baked pies still steaming hot, pancakes and a classic breakfast of eggs and bacon. There's also a big bowl of salad. Of course, Tori would want to balance their diet.

"Um, Dr. Life? What's the occasion?" Geno asked. "Why are there a lot of food?" Considering there's only three of them in the house. Geno doubt they can finish it all, so why?

"Dear, just call me Toriel." The goat lady said, widely grinning, then gestured a hand to the table. "And this is to celebrate your recovery." she added before walking over and pulling a chair and sitting on it. Then she pulled another chair next to her and patted the seat. "Come, sit next to me." she ushered.

Geno still doesn't understand as to why they need to celebrate his recovery. It's not like its a big deal, right? He's been sick so many times in his life that 'recovery' has been comparable to a normal circumstances for him.

He felt a hand on his back gently pushing him forward and he looked up at Death who was giving him an encouraging smile.

He decided to go along with it and took a seat next to Toriel while Death sat on his other side. Practically crowding him.

"Dr. Toriel, I-" Geno began but was cut off by Toriel herself. "Hun, just drop the honorifics." she said and proceeded with filling Geno's plate with various foods.

"Tor-... Toriel?" Geno said hesitantly, unused to referring to her without her title. It made him feel so disrespectful. But since Toriel nodded in approval, he guessed he just have to get used to it.

"Ms. Toriel?" yeah, easier said than done. "You didn't have to prepare so many foo, I-" Geno was cut off once again when the goat lady cupped both of his cheek and turned his face towards her. Slightly craning his neck upward due to her tall height.

Toriel resisted the urge squeal and squeeze his adorable face. "You are such a sweetheart." she said with barely contained excitement. "Just call me Toriel. Or Tori." she added, briefly looking at Death, who had already started on his breakfast. "Or maybe you can just call me mom." she joked, laughing genuinely and froze when Geno did as that.

"Mom?"

Death has stopped mid-bite, the spoon he was holding was midway to his mouth which was hanging open. He looked at Tori to see her shocked face and her red eyes were wide with surprise.

At the abrupt silence, Geno mentally scolded himself. "I-I-I'm sorry I-" Oh he's in deep trouble.

"Say that again." she requested, her voice a little high with excitement as she leaned closer to hear him better.

Geno blinked and raised a brow, bewildered at the sudden turn of event. He thought she was offended. Apparently, not.

"Say that again, please?" she requested again, her pupils were dilated and brighter than usual. Pleading at him to grant her wish.

"Mo-... Mom?" Geno reluctantly spoke, magic rushing to his face and still doubting if he was really allowed to call her that.

Toriel squealed in absolute delight and wrapped her arms around the smaller skeleton. Unable to contain her joy as she squeeze the poor boy in her arms.