─ thirty-six

may 8, 2020

yue's eyes finally opened to see a bright room after a long, restless night. the sun was awfully cheery for such a day that she normally dreaded.

it was parents' day, and it was on this day (the only day of the year), that yue would make the trip up to the cemetery where her father was buried.

the only thing that made this year different from the many others, was that beomgyu would be missing school to go with her, since her grandmother was too sick to attend.

yue slid out of her warm duvet, breathing in deeply. maybe, just maybe, today would be different. maybe she could finally let go.

-

"are you okay?"

yue turned her head to see beomgyu's worried eyes.

"i'm fine.. just a bit tired."

beomgyu could see straight through the white lie, but decided to leave it be. he knew she would tell him on her own time, so he was in no rush to force an answer out of her.

"it looks like we're here," beomgyu commented as the train slowly came to a stop. the young couple stood up, following the slow-moving line out of the door.

after leaving the station, they hailed a cab, and were quickly on their way to the cemetery.

as the scenery became more and more familiar, yue felt the sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach go deeper and deeper. but the feeling eased a bit when beomgyu grabbed ahold of her hand.

"you can do it."

yue nodded, though still slightly unsure.

-

the two kneeled at the grave, the silent atmosphere not having a very welcoming feeling. needless to say, beomgyu felt very out-of-place.

"you said to bring my boyfriend whenever i got one.. so here he is," yue started, pointing at beomgyu. "i know you would like him. even though he isn't the best with expressing his emotions, he's still sweet. you two would get along great."

beomgyu listened intently to her mini speech, squeezing her hand just as much as she was squeezing his.

"grandma is getting better! the doctors removed the tumor, and she's cancer free again!" yue smiled, "i can't tell you how relieved i was to hear that.

"kai is doing well too. this is his second and final year on the basketball team. he's actually really good," she chuckled, "i wish you could come to one of his games.

"i wish you could be here for everything," her tears finally spilled over, as beomgyu pulled her into his chest. he rubbed her back in a comforting way, using his words to try and calm her down.

yue had told him many stories of her father, and about the many times that she had come to visit his grave. but now that he was witnessing it up close, he realized just how emotional it was.

yue had cried for a good twenty minutes, before finally bidding goodbye to the grave.

"how do you feel?"

yue inhaled the fresh air, the corner of her lips slowly tugging up into a content smile, "better."

his heart now lighter, beomgyu smiled too, "good. i'm glad."

-

i hope this fits in nicely. i have to tie up loose ends before the end :((

yo i'm not ready for the epilogue, i already cried three times over it today SKDJD