─ thirty-five

january 7, 2020

yue smiled as she took a polaroid of beomgyu and kai posing in front of the waterfront.

"so handsome!" yue praised, the compliment obviously towards beomgyu.

kai chuckled, his voice confident, "oh, don't flatter me."

"i wasn't," she smiled as she slipped the photo into her bag.

"can you guys believe it? our third year of high school," kai decided to ignore her comment, as he plopped down at a vacant picnic table.

"i know," yue leaned on the railing, watching as the sun set.

"ah, shoot," kai stood up, grabbing his backpack, "i forgot that my mom needed me to work a shift at the store. i'll see you guys later!"

yue waved, and when he was gone, she turned back to the sky. "i'm excited for graduation," she inhaled deeply, "we'll finally be free."

beomgyu looked down, trying to mask his obvious displeasure with the subject, "yeah.."

"you don't seem very excited."

"let's just live in the moment," he forced a smile, pulling her close to him, "don't think about the future too much," in a quiet voice, he mumbled, "because it's not always what we want."

-

"do you like the stars?"

yue and beomgyu has been outside for about two hours now, the two talking and enjoying the other's company.

"i love them," yue answered.

he pointed up, "do you see that star?"

"which one?"

"that one," he gestured towards a star that wasn't quite as bright as the other ones that lit up the sky. "that star is dim and slowly burning out, but it's still just as beautiful as the rest of them."

yue, captivated by the moving story, gasped quietly, "really?"

"well, no. it's actually dim because it's farther away," he chuckled, "i just thought you'd like the first story better."

she laughed, lightly slapping his shoulder, "well, you were right."

it was quiet, before yue opened her mouth to ask another question.

"can't people buy stars?"

"yeah.. why, do you want one?"

"maybe i'll buy myself one," she decided.

he laughed quietly, bringing up his hand to lightly pinch her cheek, "i'll buy it for you."

"really?"

beomgyu gave her a small grin, and placed his hands into his pockets, the cold air finally starting to get to him, "of course." i'd buy the world for you, if i could.