"Clary." Jace warned. I ignored him as I carried on looking at Max.

"I need you to promise that you won't let go of his hand until you can't see this building anymore, okay? Can you do that?" He nodded.

"Clary, you can't just-"

"Max, don't let go of his hand okay? If you want him to be safe, if you want everyone to be safe, don't let go. Can you do that?" He nodded again and I gave a smile. I stood up and looked at Jace.

"That was not fair, Clary." I smiled, sadly as everyone watched us.

"Life isn't fair. Especially in a world like this one." I stepped towards him, taking his head in my hands. I leaned forward and kissed him, pulling back just as quickly. "Love you." He looked up at me, his face a mix of shock and sadness and joy but before he could say anything I was walking away. I went to leave but Jace grabbed my arm with his free hand.

Jace's POV

"Don't." I said as she looked back at me. I could see the tears in her eyes threatening to fall. She smiled.

"Keep them safe." She pulled her hand free and walked away.

"Clary! Clary, wait! Clary!" I bent down to Max. "I'm going to be right back, okay buddy? I'll be right back, I promise." I said pulling away.

"No, don't go!" He said, holding on tight. "Clary said not to let go, that's what she said!"

"I know, but-"

"No, don't go Jace! You have to stay, that's what she said! She said don't let go!" I looked up to the others as he flung his arms around me. "You have to stay here." Wyatt looked down at me.

"I can go after her." Grace looked at her brother.

"Wyatt no!" She said angrily. We all knew it would be suicide for anyone who wasn't Clary. We all knew if anyone had a chance of surviving it would be her.

"She saved our lives." He said. He looked down at me. I shook my head.

"No. Just get everyone ready." They all looked at me. "Now." They did as I said, starting to grab their bags and everything they would need. I stood up and went to the window, Max still holding on. It was just then that I saw the door fling open. My free hand went to the glass. Clary started to fight off the zombies, making a path through them. Once she did she started to lead them away from the building. She looked up at me.

"GO NOW! GO JACE!" Everyone looked up as I turned to them.

"You heard her. Let's go!" And I did as she said. We all ran down the stairs and over to the door, the barricade was gone where Clary must have gone through. We walked out seeing the street almost completely clear. "Come on, we have to leave, everyone follow me and stick close." She did as promised, we got out of the building and we ran down the main road, away from the town. Max let go of my hand.

"I can't see the building anymore. I can let go now, right?"

"Yeah Max, that's right." I turned to Isabelle and Alec. Mike, Grace and Wyatt just behind them looking at us as everyone else kept walking.

"I can't leave her." I saw Grace look sadly at her brother.

"Jace-" Wyatt started.

"No, I can't. I won't. I'm going back."

"Jace, we have to go, she bought us the time we needed to get away. Don't let it be for nothing." Grace said.

"She's not dead and I won't leave her, I'm going back."