Increasingly Jaded Views

Magsimula sa umpisa

She's one of the only people, aside from Peridot, who help me feel good about myself. And it boils down to the fact that those two like me for who am and not for who I could be. They also understand the weight of the revelation on my shoulders and how it bears more relevance to me than Ruby and Sapphire. I truly love Amethyst and Peridot and really do appreciate all that they do for me, especially since the truth was revealed years ago and now I'm 19 and still having to deal with it. I really don't like thinking these things about the three people closest to me, but I can't just push those negative thoughts to a corner of my mind and expect them to fade. It's just the truth and trying to deny the obviousness of it is just pointless.

"Steven? Steven!" A voice jars me from my thoughts. 

I jump slightly and turn my head to see Connie standing on the porch a short distance away, wearing her training outfit with my Mom's sword slung across her back. She smiles warmly at me, but I don't return the gesture, recent angry thoughts still present in my mind that I'd rather not take out on her.

"Here more training with Pearl, I assume?" I ask. 

Connie comes over and leans on the railing next to me as I turn to look back out at the ocean near the horizon.

"Oh, yes, Steven. It's so exciting! I mean, I'm making great progress and getting better every time. Pearl says that I might even be as great as your mother one day" The girl rambles excitedly. 

I have to keep myself from roll my eyes her, looking away so she can't see my annoyed state. Even after I told Connie my mother was a lying, traitorous murderer, my Jam Bud still wants to be like her so she can 'do it for me'. But, at this point, I don't feel like I want her as my knight if Rose's standards and qualities are what she's going to go by and choose to emulate. I don't think she's an inherently bad girl, it's just Pearl, and maybe even Garnet, manipulating her.

"I'm getting really close to honing my emotions too" Connie continues to talk, "Pearl said that soon I should be able to expertly fuse with you. Just imagine it, Steven! We could be Stevonnie nonstop and conquer any foe that comes our way!"

"Yeah, yeah, sure" I shrug, not thinking too much of it. 

Connie sees this and leans closer to try and look me in the eye.

"Is something the matter, Steven?" She asks.

I'm about to reply to her, but then the front door opens and two sets of footsteps come bounding in my direction. I get up and turn around from my leaning position, seeing none other than the happy couple themselves standing in the door frame.

"Come on inside, you two. Pearl said that she had something urgent to tell us" Ruby says, Sapphire just blushing while gazing at her future wife.

Connie's expression hardens immediately, her nodding and going right on ahead of me through the front door. I exhale through my nose and head right in myself, ignoring the smiles that Ruby and Sapphire give me as I pass by. Once we're all inside, Connie goes right up to Pearl, who's standing smack dab in the middle of the Warp Pad.

"Good, everyone's here. Now, we have an important mission ahead of us. A couple of gem mutants have wandered into the strawberry fields and we have to clear them out. We can't allow Rose's special place to be contaminated by their corrupted presence. Connie, are you all set?" Pearl briefs, looking down at Connie when finished.

"Yes, ma'am" Connie replies, nodding confidently and stepping onto the Warp Pad besides Pearl. 

Ruby and Sapphire step up too, surprising me because I'd thought that without Garnet, those two would never go into hostile territories. Looks like I'm wrong about that, though. Pearl then looks at me expectantly.