Chapter 1: Lady Alkina

Merriment could be seen and heard in a huge town in the Land of Feray. Folks gathering and gossiping, filling the village with laughter and joy. Those who did not enjoy interacting basked in the food displayed, making it the time for gluttony. The town of Aysel was rather busy during the time of July 5th and all those who were involved in the gathering were young men without wives and willing to participate in the yearly courtship of the Lady of Moonlight, which was the night after July 5th.

It was a tradition for men who wore no wedding bands around their wrists, ankles, and neck, to find one who would be their wife or beloved. Other men found theirs in the village, others found someone meant to be theirs, and those who participate in the yearly courtship were those who wish to woo and wed the beautiful and powerful Lady who was said to be the Moon's child.

They called her Alkina, the Lady of Moonlight. She was a mighty being who was graced with such a beauty that made men and women alike melt. It had been made tradition that every year, in the night of July 6th, men who wish to court her shall prove themselves to her, she was that beautiful and deeply desired.

"Tomorrow night, you must win her heart! Woo her with your charms and you'll be the most honored man in this whole Land! Folks of all kinds, even those in the Land of Elio, the West, will honor you for being able to capture the charming Lady of Moonlight, my dear son! Make your papa proud!" A middle-aged man spoke around the corner where could be seen a long table full of food. He gave his tall son a pat on the back as the young man gave a smile, eyes yearning said honor.

"Of course, pa! Who could resist my charms anyway?" The young man spoke, boasting in a joking manner as he caressed his own raven hair. The father seemed to get even more proud of him and laughed boisterously, whilst his wife sighed and shook her head as she placed an ornament to decorate the streets of their lovely town. Her face was flushed red, getting shy at the loud and proud statements coming from the mouths of her husband and son. She smacked her husband's shoulder, making the other tense up and look at her.

She returned the stare with a slight glare, one that wasn't truly mad. Her glare looked more to be playful. "What is it, wife?" He asked, chuckling. The woman gestured at their son who watched silently. "Husband, you shouldn't tell that to Earl. Courting a lady or a man should not be done for honor but for the sincere desire to be loved by the one who is being courted. Do you recall how you courted me? It wasn't for honor. It was for love, my dear. Does it truly matter if our son charms Lady Alkina or not? I believe it doesn't. If Lady Alkina is not swayed, if she doesn't return his feelings, then that's alright. Someone is destined for each person and Earl will find his. His partner doesn't have to be as mighty as other beings, as long as they love him, we should be happy." She told her husband.

Her husband smiled sweetly at her and embraced her, kissing her forehead whilst he ruffled his son's hair. Earl was smiling at his mother's words as well, clearly glad that some worries had been eased. "Forgive me, Sabrina. I only wanted Earl to do his best, but you're right." Sabrina giggled and poke the tip of his nose. "I always am, George. I always have a gut feeling about certain things, like this yearly courtship. I have a feeling that we shouldn't really allow Earl to participate." She uttered as they pulled away from one another. Earl instantly looked curious.

"What do you mean, ma?" The brunette asked, his brown eyes shining with curiosity. Sabrina pushed a few locks of light brown behind her ear as she shrugged.

"I can't really identify why, but perhaps I can say that she won't answer to you.. So it'll be quite useless." She murmured then shook her head. "It's a feeling Earl. You choose to stay or participate." She smiled then and Earl nodded, albeit a bit bothered. George had dark brown hair that he had swept back, running his fingers through his bangs due to his mannerism and clapped his hands.