(9)Pear-shaped Hope

Zacznij od początku

'Mama...

I am deeply sorry for doing this and I know you will be cross with me, whatever I say here, but I just need you to know that I'm not doing this to spite you or to prove something. That may I have been the reason in the beginning, but now, after I thought it through, I can't live with myself knowing that I could've done something to help those people.

Please don't try to stop me.

I know you're scared and I know you're angry, but deep down, you also know that I'm right.

Do you remember when I was young and you used to tell me stories of how you could never sit still whenever papa went off to do a really dangerous task? Well, I think I'm more like you than you realise...

Wish me luck. I love you and papa with all of my heart.

P.S. If by any chance the twins aren't there either and they're gone too- I had nothing to do with it, I swear!'

My only reaction was to give a half-hearted, shocked little scoff. My head shook to the side and then to the other and then I lifted my head up to stare into Thanatos' livid eyes.

"I'm bringing them back-" He turned around to dart towards the gates, but I grabbed his wrist. "Wait!"

"Aurora!" He scoffed and snarled when I turned him back; "Our daughter and our two sons are on earth, trying to- gods! I don't even know what they're trying to do! This is ridiculous they need to come right back and-"

"Hey!" I shouted and Thanatos' mouth locked shut. Opis finally reached us and with bated breath said; "I...phew... I think Aurora is right, Thanatos."

"She hasn't even said anything yet?"

Opis whacked Thanatos with his cane; "Let her speak then!"

I shot them both a warning glance and pursed my lips with annoyance. I hated this! I hated it when my children were in the middle of disputes like this. It wasn't right and it wasn't fair.

Just a few minutes ago, all I could think of was how wrong and sorrowful Theia's mission to go up to earth would be, but... Oh, dammit. She did have a way with words, didn't she?

"I don't agree with what she did. I don't." I said again, just to emphasise to Thanatos that I agreed with his anger and frustration. But I wasn't done. "But..."

"But?" Thanatos' crimson eyes lit up with surprise. "What do you mean but?"

"But I think we've done enough." I said finally. I grabbed his hand and looked between the two men. "We did what we thought was right- we told her of the danger and we told her that it wasn't easy, nor was it a fair world, but I know for a fact that we raised them- all three of them- with good values, good morals and good hearts. Thanatos," I squeezed his hand and sighed, shaking my head; "We did all we could. I won't go 'fetch' them just to have them end up hating us for it in the long run."

"Aurora, what if they get hurt? What if-"

"What if, what if..." I shrugged; "We both had parents who wanted us to be able to make independent and informed decisions. Except Nyx, but that's not the point." I whispered and reeled back to the matter at hand. "We've all gotten hurt at some point in our lives and we dealt with it. Maybe it's time we let our children 'deal' with their own decisions for once, instead of ours."

Thanatos sighed and ran a hand over his eyes. He looked exhausted. Theia's safety and happiness were a rather big issue for him recently. He couldn't fathom why his only daughter wanted to leave. "I do understand what you're saying; I do, but..." He hesitated and then, with the shake of his head and a defeated groan, he finally said; "Alright; fine. Let them go. But I swear to Gaia and all the gods that if one hair is touched on her head-"