Chapter 18: Bulletproof

A/N:

Italicized lines represent flashbacks of past events.

...

Parker POV

I didn't want this tonight. I couldn't handle it. Fighting with Griffin always hurt me, it always tugged my heart in a million different directions where I was lost between desire and self preservation.

Of course, Han was an unexpected twist in tonight's tale. I shook my head as I flipped through the keys on Griffin's key ring. To be completely honest, though, Han wasn't as endearing as he once had been. Before, he almost seemed like my champion. Coming out of nowhere to save me from something I thought I didn't want when Griffin reentered my life. Now...now he made my skin crawl.

My back met the passenger door of Griffin's car and I let my eyes drift up to the few visible stars in the sky. Griffin was going to be on edge just from the sight of Han, but maybe that could be enough leverage to get him to let us just stay home tonight. It wasn't just the fact that I was going to have to be back at Theo's the entire night...there was this dark feeling that kept creeping into the back of my mind that I couldn't explain...

"So he waits obediently."

"It's called courtesy not to leave your boyfriend stranded, not obedience." I quipped.

"There's that word again." Han leaned against Griffin's car beside me.

"A word that doesn't really concern you."

"Oh? So you'd swing for little ole me?" He stepped in front of me, forcing me to look up to see the disgusting smirk on his face. Had he always been so repulsive?

"You're gonna want to take a step back." I warned him, not enjoying his proximity.

"Why?" He stepped even closer, our bodies barely inches apart. "Scared you'll like what you see?"

"Han, don't." I put my hand on his chest, but he pressed forward and placed one hand on either side of me. I was trapped between him and the car, his face too close to my own.

"Come on," he whispered, "you should live a little, Parker." I turned to look away from him, frozen to the spot. Everything was too much. My nerves were already shot worrying about something similar happening at the party, but here in the parking lot by someone I barely knew had me at a loss. What do I do? What should I do?

"Han, I-" my barely audible voice was easily interrupted.

"You shouldn't have to be somebody's little prisoner. I can show you a much better time. You know that, I know that, so why don't we get out of here and know it at your place." His lips brushed over my ear, sending a shockwave through my entire body. I couldn't move. I couldn't speak. My eyes were clenched shut as if taking away my sight would make it not real. Then, I heard it.

"If you EVER touch him again..."

.....

Griffin POV

I didn't finish my threat, fists clenching and unclenching at my sides. Han was in a daze flat on his back, lip busted and dribbling blood from his mouth. Slowly, I turned to Parker who was still pressed back against my car.

His head was turned to the side and eyes still squeezed shut. I watched him for a moment as he took the smallest breaths as if he were afraid any amount of motion would set reality back in motion. He was...scared.

"Parks?" I approached him slowly, completely turning my attention towards his trembling lower lip. "Parker?" I took his chin gently in my hand and tilted his face up to me. "Look at me." He could hear me, behind all of it I know he can still me, but he needed to see me. I needed him to see me here.