Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

They were trying their best to scare me. This is what they wanted - me under their control.

"I'll answer both," Tasha grinned, standing in front of me again. "We made drugs because, well in the simplest terms, we needed money. My father cut me off after I spent a few grand on a purse last Summer. He told me that anything I wanted to buy would have to come out of my own pocket - something about me needing to learn the value of money or whatever. "

"Wait," I interupted, furrowing my brows. "You're telling me your motive for this was shopping? You created a deadly drug...to fund your shopping trips?"

Was I really hearing them correctly? Of all the goddamn motives...

"A girl's gotta shop. Let's face it," she sighed. "Being a drug dealer pays well. If you've got good shit, people will do anything for it. You get them hooked and they just keep coming back."

It was taking everything in me to take her seriously. Her story was so outrageous that I could barely process it. The only way was to simply accept it and move on to the more pressing issues.

I peered at them both still confused, "Why did you tie me up?" I asked. "I was coming here for a hookup! You texted me remember?" 

She pouted at me, head dropping slightly. "Drop the act, Rebecca." 

I felt my pulse quicken.  A shiver ran down my spine as I heard her say my name - my real name.

"That's right, I know who you are." she grinned, "I know quite a bit about you, gymnast freak." She took a step closer to me. "Maybe if you're going to come to school at night time with your little friends, wear a mask," she whispered near my face. "By the way, did you enjoy those kicks and punches Violet gave you?"

I looked over at Violet who looked smug, "Four years of Taekwondo paying off." she shrugged.

They'd known. They'd worked out who I was the night of the school fight - almost two weeks ago. All this time - and they'd played along like they were completely clueless. Holy shit. 

"Did you enjoy getting beat up against a locker by one of my 'little friends'?" I shot back at Violet, making her lose her grin. I turned back to Tasha, "And how about you? Did you enjoy your beat up? Throwing a desk a someone isn't exactly a guaranteed winner move." 

I felt her hand slap against my cheek, making it burn. It had been so quick that I'd barely prepared for it. "Wouldn't keep that up if I was you," she whispered near my ear, breathing down my neck. 

I moved my head away from her, disgusted. I wanted to be as far away from her as I could now that I wasn't sure what she was capable of. I felt powerless knowing I couldn't fight back against her, stuck in a chair where I could barely move my limbs.

She moved closer to me, enjoying my discomfort before she began explaining more to me, "We'd been at the school, returning some lab equipment for the science room we'd used when we stumbled upon you idiots. So once I realized that people were trying to take us down, I realized that you," she pressed her finger to my nose before continuing, "must have been helping them."

 I grew sick at her touch but she continued, enjoying watching me squirm, "Didn't take too long to work out who you were. Rebecca Winters, the seventeen-year-old gymnast star." she mocked. She began pacing around me again, "The FBI vans during school hours were a pretty big giveaway. You're working for them?"

"Yes." I lied, not wanting to give her a single piece of true information. "But I have a question for you," I turned my head to face her as she walked back near the front of me.

"Shoot." she grinned.

"How do two of the biggest idiots in the whole school manage to create a drug so complex, or any drug at all really?" I asked, glaring at them both.