Chapter Twenty-Four

The rest of the day flew by pretty quickly, much to my surprise. I realized that was probably because I wasn't exactly in a rush to get home and confront my mother. But I knew one thing, whenever she had a problem she'd never leave it alone. I was proved correct when I opened the front door to enter the house and she was standing in the middle of the doorway.

"Can we talk?" she was wearing old saggy jeans and no makeup which for her, was rare.

I pushed past her so I could enter the house. "I'm not really in the mood"

"He's a nice guy Becca," she began saying anyway.

I rolled my eyes as I walked into the kitchen with her following me.

"Great. I hope you both have a great time," I said sarcastically as I grabbed on apple from the fruit bowl and walked to the fridge and opened the door scanning the contents inside.

"I'm sorry I kept it from you, I just didn't want t-"

"I don't really care what your excuse is this time, Mom. I'm tired and I'm going to bed," I closed the fridge and pushed past her again.

I heard her call out to me as I walked up the stairs. "You want to go out for dinner?"

"No thank you!" I called back angrily as I entered my bedroom and shut the door behind me.

I felt slightly guilty. I'd never spoken to my Mom like I had in the past two days. But I was just so angry at her. With all the things going on in my life her dating some weirdo was really the last thing I needed.

I collapsed on my bed and took a bite out of the apple that was still in my hand. One thing was for sure, if we were going to keep fighting like this, I would have to plan my dinners better.

I didn't remember the exact time I fell asleep but I knew it must have been late since I woke up the next morning feeling more tired than ever. I had stayed in bed grumbling for a few minutes before I shot up when I realized something. Eric would be back today.

I quickly hopped out of bed and started getting ready. Winter meant cold mornings where you could barely get out of bed because the second you did, any warmth you had left would be gone. I suddenly longed for the summer days to arrive so I could be with Kevin and Debby on the beach in the heat like we always did. And not have to worry about schoolwork.

Today was my last day to get any extra information I could about suspects for this case before I would have to report it all to Eric. I also had to give him the number I'd gotten from Tasha. The number that would lead us to whoever was behind this all.

I'd hoped that maybe Eric would have made an early return when I arrived at the RUA later that morning but was disappointed to see that was not the case. I did, however, notice a few agents running around the place frantically.

"What up with them?" I asked Cassie as I pointed at the two agents that were digging through a file cabinet desperately.

"Preparing for Eric's return," Cassie answered, rolling her eyes. She obviously wasn't as worried as the others.

"He doesn't seem like someone that would scare all the others." I watched as another agent typed quickly on a computer monitor.

"He isn't, he's strict, but my bet is that they're all just trying to get their cases together to get in his good books." she watched the agents in a bored manner.

"Must be the perks of being the head agent," I joked.

"Well sure, if you consider it being a perk being harassed constantly by other agents trying to impress you. I honestly have no idea how he deals with it," she smirked watching the agents.