After finally leaving Leah's apartment, Adla began to understand why the journalist was so fascinated by the capital. The atmosphere was something Adla couldn't quite put into words. There was a seriousness and sense of importance everywhere they went. She enjoyed seeing all the monuments and places that held such power. It was a different pace from Chicago.

Although she had lived in Boston for a few years, Adla had never considered living anywhere else than Chicago. She also hadn't traveled much which made the trip very insightful. There was so much to discover. The two young women spent hours walking around, talking and simply reveling in the city and each other's company.

They ended up in a mall to do some shopping. Leah needed to buy a new outfit for work and had been in and out of the changing room a few times. Adla didn't mind accompanying her at all. After going through a bunch of items, Adla was standing outside the booth, waiting for Leah to come out.

Suddenly, there was a hand grabbing her arm and pulling her inside. Before she was able to say anything, she felt a pair of lips crashing against hers. Completely stunned, the brunette reciprocated as a reflex but then tried to pull away.

"Leah," Adla half-mumbled, half-giggled. "What are you doing?"

"Being a little spontaneous," Leah whispered and kissed Adla again.

"What if someone saw us?" The female police officer worried.

This time, she didn't get an answer. Instead, Leah kissed her even more urgently. With the blonde's arms wrapped around her neck, Adla gave in because she had missed exchanging affection as well. She wasn't comfortable with PDA and had even told Leah that she wasn't ready to make their relationship public. All day they had refrained from affection which had caused the spontaneous act.

Leah was taking steps backwards while clinging on to Adla tightly. With her back hitting the wall of the booth, Leah accidently knocked over a bunch of hangers. The loud, rustling sound alarmed Adla who broke off the kiss.

"Leah," she laughed quietly against the other's lips. "We're going to get kicked out, I swear."

"Stay," Leah said contextless, so Adla lifted an eyebrow. "Stay for a couple of more days."

"I can't," the brunette sighed deeply.

"You can't leave now," the younger woman complained while keeping her arms folded around Adla's neck so she wouldn't pull away fully. "Just...call in sick or something."

"I don't want to leave either, but I can't do that," Adla's sense of responsibility wouldn't allow her to flake on her colleagues.

"Please," Leah whispered and put on her best puppy-dog-eyes.

"Don't do that," Adla couldn't suppress a smile.

"I'm not too proud to beg," Leah replied before softly kissing Adla's lips. "Be selfish for once. Only a few more days. I don't want you to go."

"Leah," Adla sighed guilt-ridden because she understood Leah's sentiment. It was gut-wrenching to think about leaving each other. This time was important and Adla was afraid that the separation would cause them to drift apart again. She was determined not to let it happen, but there was no guarantee, was there?

"I'm sorry," Leah breathed surprisingly and rested her forehead against Adla's. "I shouldn't put you in this predicament. It's not fair."

"Don't apologize," the brunette whispered and closed her eyes. "I know this entire situation seems unfair, but we'll get through this."

"Is everything okay in there?" A voice from outside the booth suddenly asked and Adla eyes widened.

"Yes, thank you," Leah called out politely while putting her index finger against Adla's lips.