Part VII

Adla was staring at the ceiling of the unfamiliar bedroom.

Despite the unfamiliar surroundings, she couldn't recall ever feeling more relaxed. After arriving in Washington, her fears of not being able to patch things up with Leah had disappeared by now. They had been completely honest with one another. And although Adla had discovered some news that she didn't like, as in Leah hooking up with someone else, she wasn't angry.

She understood how confusing the situation was and that Leah had her own way of coping. Adla was happy they were able to talk and resolve everything before the blonde had truly moved on. They had spent all day talking and catching up on everything they had missed in the last month and a half. The difficulty of opening up was still there for Adla. But she made more an effort – more than ever before.

It was worth it. After all, she was lying in bed the next morning with Leah peacefully sleeping next to her – or on top of her almost. Smiling to herself, Adla usually enjoyed getting up early. In fact, she had been awake for some time, but she couldn't bring herself to get out of bed. Not when Leah was cuddled up with her, making her feel like this.

Adla listened to Leah's breathing and very softly stroked her hair. The silky texture had a nearly addictive quality to it. Growing up without much affection, Adla noticed how much she craved that intimacy after having had a little taste of it before their separation. She hadn't been able to focus on anything else other than what could have been if she had told Leah about her true feelings.

"Morning," a groggy voice interrupted Adla's thoughts.

"Good morning," Adla returned with a smile.

Leah stretched mildly and yawned before readjusting her position so she could look at Adla. The brunette also turned towards the other girl, so they were facing each other.

"Did you sleep well?" Leah asked quietly.

"Very well," Adla answered honestly and nodded. "You?"

"Same," the journalist smiled sleepily.

Adla wasn't sure what was considered 'normal' in their stage of relationship, but she was so incredibly infatuated with Leah at this point that it almost scared her. She admired every tiny detail and the image of the young woman simply resting her head on the white pillow was enough to make Adla's heart race. The light, blonde hair perfectly framed the facial features Adla had been marveling at. Looking at her jawline, cheekbones and lips was one thing, but nothing came even close to what Leah's eyes evoked.

Granted, the emerald green color was something a lot of people probably noticed. It wasn't a subtle tone of green either; the rich color was enhanced by the fact that every light seemed to reflect differently, making them more complex. The deep-set shape of Leah's eyes gave them a certain alluring almost seductive touch. While Leah wasn't shy to entice, the expression in her eyes varied as much as the shades of green in them.

The young journalist had a positive outlook on life and the brightness of her spirit matched the lightness of her eyes. But there was a sensitivity to Leah that was most appealing to Adla. There was no hiding what Leah felt. The vulnerability that was simply conveyed through her eyes was what truly enamored Adla beyond her own understanding.

"What do you want for breakfast?" Adla asked since she needed to focus on something else.

"Oh no," Leah grinned. "You're not cooking today. We stayed in yesterday but today we're going out. I have so many things to show you."

"Okay, sounds good," the policewoman agreed before adding: "You have nothing in your fridge, do you?" Adla laughed gently.

"Don't expose me like that," Leah reciprocated her laughter. "Come on. As much as I want to stay in bed all day with you, I can't let you go back without showing you around."