Chapter Five

The rest of the weekend, in comparison to Friday, was actually okay.

            Andrew and I spent the rest of Saturday hanging out at my place, as if we didn’t have a plastic baby demanding our attention at erratic intervals. He stayed over that night, too, although we made sure to crash in my room instead of on each other. The baby was considerably more manageable when you got used to it, and the diaper situation improved drastically after our first attempt. I’d even braved a night with it alone, and although I arrived at school on Monday morning feeling the effects of sleep deprivation, I was proud to say I survived.

            As we pulled into the parking lot, I looked down at the baby carrier balanced on my lap. It was quiet, but three days’ experience told me that could change at any moment.

            What was I supposed to do if it started screaming in the middle of homeroom?

            Taking it into school would be about as safe as walking through a minefield. With fifteen other dolls under the care of our classmates, it’d only take one to start crying, and they could all be set off.

            Oh, the joy.

            “So,” I said, as I climbed out of the passenger seat and slammed the door behind me, “we’re all clear on the plan?”

            “Sir, yes, sir,” Andrew answered, mock-saluting. “It’s both of us in homeroom, first and second it’s yours, I’ll take over third, fourth we’re together–”

            “Lunch?”

            “Lunch we’re together too,” he said, nodding. “Fifth’s down to me again, and sixth…”

            “Health.”

            “Got it,” he confirmed, grinning at me as we began trekking up towards the school’s main entrance. This was followed by a double-take, as he suddenly realized I was the one lugging along the bulky carrier whilst he ambled along with nothing heavier than a backpack. “And I got this, too,” he added, with a sheepish smile.

            “I was wondering how long it was going to take you.” I smiled amusedly as my arm was relieved of the weight.

            We reached the end of the path and started up the steps, joining the inflow of students piling into the school. As we approached the doors, my attention caught on a familiar pair a few meters away. Darcy and Austin were caught up in what looked like a pretty heated argument, their blue carrier lying between them. Although Austin was trying to argue back as fervently as his opponent, he was lacking his usual confidence and kept running a hand through his hair. The bustle of our surroundings meant I couldn’t hear exactly what they were arguing about, but whatever it was, Darcy looked pissed.

            Entering the hallway brought an unexpected assault from the air con. Obviously, whoever was in charge of the school’s internal temperature had realized we’d all been melting last week, but it had gone from one extreme to the other. It felt almost like I was in some sort of chick flick, striding into school with Andrew at my side, my hair blowing wildly behind me.

            But then I remembered we were dragging with us a baby carrier and plastic doll, which kind of ruined it.

            We started in the direction of our lockers, but only managed a couple of meters before I felt a hand tap my shoulder. Surprised by the contact, I spun round, only to be faced by a person I would never have expected to want my attention.