PART FOUR

FROM THIS CHAPTER ON THERE WILL BE ENDGAME SPOILERS — READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

***

"The Force will always be with you. Always."

***

Somehow

Somehow. Just somehow, after a week Ezra's phone was still alive. Just leaning to one percent battery percentage, Ezra propped her weak and dirty body against the industrial wall of the ship she was trapped inside of and pressed play.

"Hi . . . Aunt Carla. I know this probably won't ever make it you — god, I don't even know if you're alive — anyways, I just want to say, I'm sorry. I know . . . I know what you're thinking right now. It's what everyone thinks; Ezra Wilson is smart and all, but that girl is naïve and irresponsible. She acts too quickly, she gets too mad, she's got too much of a temper. I know that what you're thinking, it has to be, and because of that, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for the countless days you spent with me, as you wondered what happened the second I got home. I'm sorry you asked me to even start this internship, I'm sorry that I spent nights locked in my room doing homework when I should've spent nights with you. I'm sorry that I only slightly judged your outfits," while speaking Ezra chuckled out wiping a slight tear from her eye, "I'm sorry that I made friends at this school. That never was the intention, I thought I was going to work the internship and go home. I never expected to make friends like . . . ," Ezra took a small break, allowing herself to breath. If not she was going to weep out and she surely didn't want to attract Tony or Nebula's attention. "I'm just sorry, Ned, Michelle and . . . Peter, they all made me feel loved. I never thought that I finally would feel like I had a family, and yet, I did. I'm sorry for that, because I know if I never came to New York City, I would've never met Tony, or Peter and endangered you. God, I'm so sorry," just as Ezra was going to add to her apology her phone slowly turned to a black screen. For what felt like minutes on end, she stared at the screen.

"You know it's not your fault," the deep voice of Nebula caused Ezra to jump. Nebula was leaned against a piece of scrap metal, her arms crossed and face stern. On many accounts Ezra tried to imagine what Nebula would've looked like as a full human. She always imagined her with a short black pixie haircut that spiked out in every direction. There had been many days where Ezra wanted to ask if she ever had hair, or lack of robot pieces, but Ezra found the more she got closer to Nebula, the less she cared about her background. She seemed to have a hard enough life as it was.

"It certainly feels like it." Nebula smirked slightly while walking towards Ezra. Awkwardly, she sank down to her sitting position and gazed into her eyes. Very gently Nebula wiped a small tear away with her thumb and patted Ezra's knee.

"Ezra, as much as you feel like this is your fault, you certainly had no control over my father's actions. He's a monster, he took away the only people I ever loved, ever. That man is heartless, and what he did was inevitable." Ezra allowed that idea to sink in as she eyed her knees. "Ezra, look at me," Nebula used her pointer finger to lift Ezra's chin and spoke. "You need to promise me to be strong. No matter what we're not giving up, okay?"