[Entry 13] How to Avoid Social Interactions

BLOG ENTRY THIRTEEN:  Homecoming was a bust.  I helped with the float and setting up for the dance (which was just putting throwing candy into overpriced bowls), but all in all nothing went to plan.  

The float we worked on lost the class competition, meaning the Senior class was in fourth place, just behind the Juniors, Sophomores, and Freshmen.  That was the first indication that the universe was out to get me.  

The second indication came in the form of Thompson Ajax, a boy in the grade below me.  He asked me if I would go to the dance with him, but a) I’ve only ever seen this boy passing in the halls and b) I certainly didn’t like him enough to go with him.  So, with an unprecedented bluntness, a “no” echoed across the courtyard full of pimple faced kids.  

The whole day after that leading to the actual Homecoming Dance, I ducked my head away from any boy who looked mildly like he might ask me to the dance.  I was keen on not going, not showing my face somewhere as embarrassing as homecoming.  

And so it was.  I did not go, instead catching up on the latest season of ‘Once Upon a Time,” which had just been added to Netflix just days earlier.  

That was code for the best night ever.  

(Ms. Nosy Lady, I can feel you judging me.  Stop that, please.)