[Entry 6] Teachers and Their Stupid Assignments

BLOG ENTRY SIX:  I was sitting in English class about two years ago, and the teacher told us to pull out a piece of paper and pencil as she usually does.  She instructed us to write the most absurd thing on our papers.  

“Write three things that you hate about yourself,” she said in her teacher esque voice.  I looked at her like she’d grown an extra head and she stared back at me, presumably because I was “defying her instructions.”  (At least, that’s what it said on the office referral sheet.)  “Why aren’t you doing your work, Ophelia?”

“Because,” I stated, crossing my arms on top of the desk and lifting myself up in my seat to make myself seem more authoritative.  “I refuse to be involved in anything that spreads self-hate when we are already in a world where anything that is self-loving is considered arrogant or selfish.  Some of the people in this room could fill fifty pages back to back of everything they hate about themselves, things they wouldn’t have to think twice about.  And you’re standing up there basically promoting self-hate and by doing so, you’re saying that self-hate is normal, that it’s okay to hate on yourself.  But it’s not.  It’s not okay and people have ended their lives because they hated every single thing about themselves.  And I’m not going to let you do that to us.  If nobody else is going to stop you, then I will.”  

The rest of the class held their breath to see what Mrs. Heinberg was going to say or do next.  

To put it shortly, I was sent to the principal’s office.  The whole situation was going to be put on my permanent record, but I made my point and that’s all that counts.