Chapter 18

Word count: 4256

Third person's POV

The second they had learned about the baby, Darian's behavior had done a double flip.

He was no longer the depressed man she had come to know, but instead Darian was at his happiest. In fact, he felt as if he had never smiled so much in his life.

Something inside him warmed at the thought of having a child, someone he could be a role model for. Someone who would depend on him, always.

And Darian had no intention of being an alcoholic role model for his child. He had a plan of having the child grow up in a healthy environment.

So he locked up the basement where all the booze was stored in, planning on never opening it again.

Alice was stunned by his sudden actions, wondering where the sudden behavior had come from. Why he was changing so much. Of courses she did believe it had something to do with the baby.

She was filled with confusion, when weeks had passed and her mate was being his most clingy self. He could not allow Alice to be alone for a second, feeling the need to follow her everywhere.

Darian didn't want to let his mate out of his sight, afraid of something happening to her and he knew that he could never live with that. If his mate was hurt and he could have had the chance to protect her.

Alice was slightly annoyed with the clinginess. She could not go anywhere without him being by her side. She once had to lick him out when she had gone to the restroom and he had wanted to stay.

Darian was angry that she did not want him there, that she was upset with his protectiveness. He did not understand the problem, he believed he was doing his best.

Protecting a mate was not a bad thing, right? he had wondered.

Currently, Alice was lying down on the couch, scrolling through social media. A couple of minutes passed when Darian arrived in the room, stretching his hands above his head. "Hey, baby. What are you up to?"

"Just checking Instagram," she answered, keeping her eyes on the screen.

Darian climbed on top of her, pressing his solid body to her behind, having the sudden urge to feel closure. The alpha always wanted to be close to his mate, feel the warmth from her, be surrounded by the familiar perfume he had come to love dearly. Darian yearned to have her closed to his side until he was completely wrapped up in her.

"Get off. You're heavy," she let out, attempting to push the stubborn man off. "Darian, I'm serious."

"I want to mate," he murmured, pressing a delicate kiss to the mark on her neck, the one he had left with such proud and joy. "We haven't done it in a while. Let's mate."

Alice spared a glance at him over her shoulder. "Darian, I think you have memory issues. We did it like two hours ago. My legs are still sore as ever."

He let out a grunt of disapproval, burying his face in the crook of her neck. "I can't help it that I am so obsessed with you. God. I can't get enough of you."

"Darian, I mean it, get off. Please. You don't want to hurt the baby by crushing me with your weight, right?"

Alice's words made Darian hurry off her, sitting by her side instead. A soft smile appeared at the sight of his mate, who was now lying on her back, the phone locked tightly in her hands. "Here. I got you something."

His mate was bewildered when he grabbed a small velvet box out of his pocket. The man had planned it for a couple of weeks, having the jewelry designed especially for her. He opened the box, giving her a clear image of the sterling silver, rose gold plated, diamond rose pendant.