Under Duress

The entrance was beautiful, the way the lights danced with the dusk sky, all the colors trying to outshine the other. Luckily, there wasn't a cloud in the sky or any signs of rain to disrupt all the hard work that went into making this prom memorable. Trinity hands the entry tickets to the admissions desk. The lady beams at us, giving us a clear stamp and an 'X' on our hands.

We make our way to the park first, seeing as it was the closest to us. The playground was redecorated to match the 'Cloud Nine' theme. The faux clouds around the monkey bars were my favorite and the wood platform placed above the usual dirt or sand kept all the girls and their heels clean. Trinity and I end up taking several pictures with the props laid out for us. I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing, or what faces I was making, but she was smiling and enjoying herself. In the end, what more could I ask for?

After a good half hour, we left Paradise Park and headed to Blissful Beach. This is where most of the food for the night was located along with plenty of games. Some courageous girls were actually playing beach volleyball, net and all. Their heels were in the sand next to them as they hit the ball back and forth. Trinity seemed to want to join them but kept walking away. We walked and talked -and ate a bit too- about anything that came to mind, which was really refreshing.

I learned a lot about Trinity that I didn't know. She wants to be a psychology major when she gets to college. Unlike me, who just wants to understand people, she wants to actually help them.

"Maybe I'll be a grief counselor or a family consultant," she says, her voice full of hope. "I just wanna make their lives better."

I learned that she favors spicy foods. She doesn't mind RomCom shows, but she prefers thriller and horror movies. She prefers popsicles over ice cream. She likes sour candy, preferably Trolli. She enjoys singing and wishes that she had a telescope so she could see each star in the sky up close.

I learned some things about myself as well, which is weird. Sometimes, you don't know much about yourself until you're asked. She definitely asked. I didn't mind her rambling at all. I was enjoying her company and our night together. It was around seven thirty that we finally made it onto the riverboat. There was a capacity limit on the boat and absolutely too many students wanting to go in, but never out.

We got up towards the main deck where the booming music from the entrance dimmed and the slow songs grew until it swarmed the air around us. It was at this moment that I realized that Trinity hasn't danced tonight.

Let's change that.

I turn to her slowly, not hiding the awkwardness of this situation as I spoke.

"Do you wanna dance," I ask. Trinity smiles shyly, shaking her head no.

"Thanks, but that's too close for me," she explains. I nod in understanding, wanting her to have a good night. Without saying anything, I raise my hands up close in front of me, palms facing her.

"We can be as close or as far as possible. It's your choice, but I think you really do want to dance," I say. Trinity hesitates and I can only hold my breath as I await her response. After a short exhale, as if she was mentally preparing herself, she reaches up and connects her fingertips to my own. I felt a little proud that she felt comfortable enough to touch me, or better yet, that I could touch her without her recoiling away and breaking down.

"Let's try this for now, then," she whispers. I nod and smile.

"Whatever makes you comfortable," I say, meaning it. It was definitely awkward being the only two connected by fingertips in a sea of close bodies. We got so many quizzical stares, but that didn't matter because this was enough for us. For the entirety of the song, Trinity swayed back and forth with me, her eyes closed and a small smile playing at the corner of her lips. As the song switched to 'Say You Won't Let Go' by James Arthur, Trinity linked her fingers to mine. I stare at my hand surprised, not sure how to react or how to get my heart to slow down. In the end, I just smile.