My throat echoes the growl of my stomach.

Again with the food.

Why do I have to have such a speedy metabolism? And why can't I stomach raw meat? It would be so much easier if I could catch something and eat it raw like Cody does. No messy work necessary.

Well, I think with a sigh. It's now or never.

I step out into the dewy morning, inhaling the sweet fragrance of the forest. I will miss the fresh air and the earthy smell of the forest when I return to the big city, but I'll be even happier to return to civilization and eat real food for a change.

I guess this is goodbye then.

My eyes scan the forest around me for any sign of Cody, but he is nowhere to be found.

Guilt washes over me. Maybe it's for the best that I leave without seeing him? I'm just slowing him down on his journey—wherever he's off to. I don't belong out here, and he doesn't belong in the city. To believe anything else is foolish—stupid and foolish.

I take up my makeshift crutch and hobble out into the lush green vegetation, still dripping with morning dew.

The air is chilly on my exposed skin, but I clench my jaw and press on.

Suck it up, Buttercup, I tell myself.

I try to move quickly, in case Cody returns and sees me gone. He'll find me easily if he really wants to.

I hope he doesn't get the wrong impression about my departure. I'll miss having him by my side, but I do think this is for the best. He can't come back to the city with me. What would he do when I find a highway that takes me back?

We will have to part ways eventually.

It's easier to say goodbye to his memory than directly to him.

I scowl at myself. You're thinking too much into this. He's an animal. You can't explain anything to him and expect him to understand. Just find a road, and some food along the way. Get it together, and go girl!

I find my way back to the stream, and take a break to drink and refill my water bottle.

My ankle feels a little better today, but still very tender and sore. I unwrap it and place it in the cold creek, allowing the gentle current to wash over it in a soothing massage. A sigh escapes my lips as I lean back contently on my arms for support. A pair of minnows swim bravely around my foot in exploration. I watch them in amusement, wondering what they are seeking between my toes.

Looking up, the sun smiles down on me between the waving leaves and a blue sky surrounding it. The day is promising to be a nice one, and I plan on taking full advantage of it.

After a ten-minute rest, I wrap my ankle back up in the t-shirt, and set out again, determined to put more distance between me and the resting place Cody left me at.

I don't know what thoughts might cross his mind upon his return to find me gone. Would he be upset? Sad to see his travel buddy gone, or angry that his meal just got up and walked away?

How would a wolf react in this situation? What am I to him?

I can ask myself those questions a thousand times over, but I'll never know the answer.

Unless he comes back to eat me. Obviously, that's a clear indication of his intent after all this time. Still, if that's what he plans on doing, what was stopping him from doing so in the first place? Why defend me from those other wolves? Have I become his property, and that's why he protected me from those wolves?

I don't know how canines' minds tick since I've never been around them. I know King's protective of his home and owners, is it not possible that Cody is the same way?

But why on earth would a wolf want to attach himself to a human in the first place?

I shake my head. It makes no sense. No sense at all. Why do I even bother to ponder such questions?

In an attempt to divert my attention, I tune in to the songs of the birds in the trees, singing along with the gentle rhythm of the water over the rocks. The music that surrounds me is so simple, and yet so rich. I normally listen to hip-hop, but this is a welcome change. Hip-hop just wouldn't blend in with the atmosphere here.

A howl pierces through the music.

The harmony pauses, as I do, and listen.

A second one follows five seconds later. It's the same as the first, both in pitch and tone, and sounds like it might be a mile or two away. I can't be certain if it's him, or one of the other wolves.

What I do know is that a trio of howls respond somewhere behind me. I can't be sure how close they are, but I definitely don't want to stick around to find out.

Fear rushes through me and I find myself moving faster despite my ankle. Eyes glued to the river's edge, ensuring that I don't lose my footing, I hurtle forward.

I don't want to come face-to-face with Cody again, but I definitely didn't want to meet up with those other wolves either.

Pain shoots up my ankle with every hurried step I take, but I grit my teeth and press on.

The creek starts to narrow and rocks become larger the farther I go. The trickling sound the water made before turns into a rush over large rocks up ahead. Forced back into the vegetation along the stream, I dash between trees, over rocks, and through ferns as I try to stay close to my water supply.

The creek makes a sharp turn to the left up ahead, where it pans out again and returns to a calmer state. The riverbank is high at the turn, about three or four feet above the water, before it lowers again.

As I come around the bend, I see a pair of deer two hundred yards ahead. Their heads are dipped to the water's surface, but as soon as they hear me, they dart off into the brush.

I smile. It's the first time I've seen wild deer. While I'm no threat to them, I know they are timid creatures that will bolt at anything. With wolves in this forest, they had good reason to be wary of everything.

I look behind me to see how far I've come. Pleased with myself, I continue forward again, reminding myself that wolves are around here somewhere after all.

I must have walked about half a mile before I stop for a little break and take a drink.

A low growl behind me nearly chokes me as I whip my head around to see Cody with this ears flattened and his teeth bared.