3. Searching

I don't know when the storm let up, but when I wake up, I find myself alone.

Pulling myself up quickly, my eyes dart around the rocky edges of the cave and for a moment, I wonder how I got there. Then I remember what happened last night, and my thoughts are suddenly filled with wonder.

How can a wolf bring me here without harming a hair on my head? Where is he now, anyway?

I flip my long locs over my shoulder as I rub the sleep from my eyes. My body aches as I pull myself up and stretch out the kinks.

The cave isn't very big or deep and my hands easily touch the rocky ceiling above; it's rough in some places, and smooth in others. A covering of moisture glistens over its cool surface as light from the cave's entrance reflects off it. The ground is uneven and slanted, but lacks any sharp, protruding rocks to trip over or cut myself on.

Blankets of gray cover the sky as I make my way out of the cave. Gazing out at the lush green treetops, a faint mist hovers over the dewy leaves, making it impossible to see further than a mile ahead of me.

My knowledge of the national parks outside of Portland, Oregon is sufficient enough to know that I must be at least 40 miles away from the city center.

How did I get here?

I squint into the morning fog, but am unable to make out anything. I can't even tell which way is north or south. How am I going to be able to figure out which way to even begin walking?

A feeling of defeat presses down on my shoulders as I debate what to do. I couldn't just sit around, that was for sure.

Licking my dry lips, I begin my descent. Water was the first thing I had to find.

I wonder about the wolf and whether I will see him again. I hope not. He might bring his brothers along and eat me for sure. I better get as far away from here as I can.

I also try to recall the last thing I remembered of last night before my memory went blank. Didn't I go to the club last night with Ava? I remember making plans with her to go to our favorite place with our fake IDs, but did I actually make it there? And if I did, did someone slip something in my drink? That seemed like a more logical explanation as to why I couldn't remember anything.

I look down at my clothes. I'm wearing my gold halter-top that ties around my back and neck, and a pair of black jeggings-definitely something I would wear to the club, despite being caked in dirt. But flip-flops? Ava would have a fit if I wore those to the club.

These ain't my flip-flops, I think, scrutinizing the cheap-looking black things covered in dirt on my feet.

Given the circumstances, I'm glad that I am wearing flip-flops instead of my favorite gold stilettoes. I would be pissed if I wrecked them out here, but where did these black flip-flops come from? What happened to my gold stilettoes? I pray to God that no one stole them!

God, I'm thirsty! My tongue is sticking to the roof of my mouth.

I direct my attention back to finding a creek. As I walk, my mind drifts back to the nagging question of how I wound up in the forest. Ava wouldn't just ditch me out in the middle of nowhere; she's my best friend. I think I would have remembered being kidnapped too, unless I was drugged.

I shake my head, trying to rid myself of the thoughts of drugging and kidnapping as the answer. I didn't want to even think about those as possible answers.

At least the wolf is gone, I think with a sigh. I don't have to worry about that.

Still, that wolf's behavior last night was strange. Why would he guide me to safety instead of eating me? His jutting out rib cage showed that he was half starved, so there was no reason for him not to attack me. He's an animal, top of the food chain, and ought to do what is necessary for survival.

"I guess it doesn't matter now," I say out loud to myself. "He's gone, and I have to figure out how to get back to Portland."

As I descend the mountain, the forest becomes thicker and wilder the deeper I go. I'm careful to watch my step through the thick brush because there are so many things for me to trip on, and I already have a scraped knee.

Sniffing the air proves futile as there is so much moisture already in it. I cannot try and find a river that way, so I stop and close my eyes. Straining my ears for any sound of running water, all I can hear are the melodies of songbirds, the buzz of various insects, and the chatter of nearby squirrels quarreling over something.

All of my senses are useless.

I have no other choice than to simply keep walking and pray that I find water soon.

The air within the forest is much thicker and more humid with the trees blocking out the wind and the sun unable to burn the moisture through the clouds and treetops. Slowly, sweat begins to gather on my brow and I tie my dreads into a knot on the top of my head in hopes of staying cooler.

I spy a low hanging branch with leaves covered in water droplets. Dehydration taking over, I hurry to the branch and begin sucking the leaves, afraid that if I break them off they would fall to the ground.

I pray the leaves are not poisonous. I don't think they are.

The water on the leaves is only enough to ease the dryness of my tongue and lips. My throat is still parched and my energy continues to deteriorate.

There's a rustle in the large leafy ferns behind me.

Jumping, I whirl around, but all I see is a squirrel scurry out.

Relief washes over me and I wipe my brow again. I hope I don't start hallucinating.

Exhaustion soon replaces the adrenaline rush and I continue to slump through the forest. My mouth returns to its previously dry and chalky texture, and my stomach growls loudly. I see unfamiliar berries growing on various bushes, but I don't dare trying to eat them.

As the clouds begin to part, the sun's rays peak through the treetops. It's high in the sky now, probably around early afternoon, and the temperature within the forest slowly begins to climb.

I groan in disgust. I'm already hot and sweaty, and this isn't going to improve the situation any further.

I glance over my shoulder to make sure the mountain is still behind me and that I haven't veered off course.

Closing my eyes, my breath hitches in my throat when I think I hear a babbling brook.

Hastily, I open my dark brown eyes and follow the sounds of water slightly to my right.

I am in such a hurry that I don't even notice that a large beast with golden eyes is following me.