"You have no idea," Makuu responded.

"If you don't want to talk about it now, that's fine. I can wait. Besides, I bet you could use some rest right about now."

"It's the only thing I'm looking forward to."

"Well, we'll leave you to it. I presume you know your way back home from here?"

Makuu would have given Simba a questioning glare, if only he wasn't too tired to care.

"I'm sure I could find my way back by myself, but I'm too tired to afford getting lost," Makuu admitted.

"Don't worry, Makuu," Kion reassured. "We can guide you home, if you want."

"Very much appreciated, cub, but before we go, I want to know if Keyon will live or not."

"Rafiki?" Nala asked.

Everyone's attention turned to the old mandrill, who was still looking over Keyon's wounds with an intense and thought-filled gaze. The healer stayed this way for a little while longer, then raised his head to look at the other animals.

"It's too soon to say," Rafiki finally answered, fixing his gaze back on Keyon as he ran his hand over the crocodile's scales. "He is severely wounded, and some of these injuries have already started to turn infected. However, all is not lost, for I believe that there is at least the smallest chance that he can survive. If he's still alive after a few days, and his condition starts to improve after about a week, then I say that he will slowly but surely make a full recovery."

Everyone sighed in relief at the news. Granted, there was the possibility that Keyon could die, but Makuu had no doubt in his mind that if there was even the slightest chance of survival, the Crescent Valley crocodile would certainly take it.

"Well, at least it's something," Makuu replied.

"Yeah, no kidding," Kion responded. "You ready to go, Makuu, now that we know that Keyon should be okay?"

"I've probably never been more ready in my entire life."

With Ono guiding them back to the crocodile's watering hole, the Guard and Makuu attempted to leave, but were abruptly stopped.

"Ah, wait! Makuu! I must have a quick word with you!" Rafiki called.

The lion guard and Makuu stopped in their tracks and turned around to see Rafiki rushing over to them. Once Rafiki reached them, he didn't give the Guard time to ask what he needed before he started to shoo them away with his staff. Rafiki obviously didn't want them around for what was to be a private conversation between him and Makuu. After a bout of protesting, the Guard gave up and retreated in order to give Makuu and Rafiki some privacy.

"What is it this time, mandrill?" Makuu asked, irritation pricking his voice.

"I wanted to see how you fared with taking my advice," Rafiki said. "Especially when it came to working with the one animal in the world that you would never have ever trusted in your life."

"Look, Rafiki, I am very tired, and whenever anyone is tired, they aren't exactly in the most stable of moods. So, do you mind getting to the point already so that I can finally go home and sleep?"

"Alright, alright. Calm yourself. I'm just letting you know ahead of time that many changes will be heading not only your way, but Kiburi's way as well, and..."

"Wait, please don't tell me that..."

"You are going to have to put the past behind you, look to the future, and stand up for Kiburi."

"You have got to be kidding me! Please tell me you're not being serious!"

"Does it sound like I am not being serious?"

"...No, I guess not. But why me?"

"Do you honestly think that anyone else will be willing to give your half-brother a chance? The Pridelands may have given you a second chance, Makuu, but the problems that you caused and the outcomes of those problems were not as serious as Kiburi's. Nonetheless, the two of you are more alike than you think. You need to open yourself up, and, when the time comes, help Kiburi with his own problems, especially since nobody else will be willing to do so."

Makuu lost count of how many times he flinched during Rafiki's explanation. Was Rafiki trying to make him feel guilty? If he was, then he succeeded. Makuu remembered everything from his past, and how all of his mistakes led to everyone being wary and untrusting of him. He remembered feeling hopeless, defeated, and furious at the Savanna Summit, when it became abundantly clear that no one was willing to trust him, let alone give him a chance to prove that he was a changed crocodile. The memories of that day, and even the days of the events that followed, flooded his mind. Thinking about what happened to him in the past, the inner battle that he was and still is facing, Makuu realized that if Rafiki is right, which he has been so far, and Kiburi is eventually going to need all the help he can get, then he'll be right by his side.

"I understand. Thanks, Rafiki."

"Good, that's good. Now, I must get back to work."

After their bittersweet conversation, both animals went their separate ways. Makuu rejoined the Guard and they led him back home. By the time they reached Makuu's float, the crocodile leader was very close to collapsing from exhaustion, but the familiar surroundings brought a bit of energy back to his weary self.

"Alright, Makuu, you're back home," Kion said. "The guard and I have to go on patrol, so I guess we'll see you later?"

"Guess so. Thank you, lion guard."

"Anytime, Makuu."

Once the Guard was out of sight, Makuu turned his complete attention to his watering hole. His float. His family. He was relieved to be back, but definitely not as much as his float and Hodari were relieved to see him. As soon as they spotted their leader, the reptiles welcomed him back home, but decided to not go over the top when they realized how tired he was. Makuu was grateful for their understanding, and near immediately fell asleep in their presence.