Chapter 61

Phillip's Pov 

Megan pulled Lizzy out of the room before either of us had a second to react.  I somehow managed to get myself back into hallway that had grown silent the last few weeks. One by one everyone slowly moved out and returned to there own homes...and back to the circus

It was daunting for everyone to say the least. Going back to return the colour to what we had thought we had lost. 

"Phillip? Dad said that There is someone here who would like to see you." Caroline stepped up onto the top step before she swirled around and quickly made her way down the stairs, letting her ballet slippers skim the ground as she twirled. 

Caroline made her way over, well more like spun her way over, to the sitting room where the dying crackle of the fire echoed around the room as if it was a fine orchestra. Barnum awaited on the couch while Helen spoke to someone else in the room. I pushed the door open more to get a better view of who it was. 

"Hannah?" 

"Phillip!" She happily gasped as she got up suddenly, pausing momentarily, before stumbling towards me.  She had changed so much since i had last seen her. The long jet black hair  was cut short, just above her shoulder. But perhaps the biggest change of it all was the metal brace that squeaked as she walked. 

"Your Leg?" I heard myself question before I could even stop myself. 

"I know, James Wick made It for me before he left. It's better than a cane and a wheelchair to say the least." 

"We'll give you guys a moment." Barnum spoke up, ushering Helen out of the room despite her protests that she would 'be quiet'. 

As the door shut behind them, Hannah slowly made her way back to the big yellow chair, denying any help from me to get there. It was only when I sat across from her that I had an idea of why she had come here. 

"You have suitcases." I half ask/half state, my voice dropping as I come to the realization of what it meant to do. 

"I do," Hannah gave a small smile as she spoke. "I'm going to Montreal, for good." 

"What? Why? What's wrong?" 

"Nothing's wrong. It's just.. I can't be myself if I stay." 

Fragments of thought, splinters of words, and droplets of silence spun into a kaleidoscopic jumble, shifted infinitesimally, and fell into an incredible new pattern.

"What do you Han?" I reached out to hold her hand but she moved her fingers away and quickly placed her hands it her lap.

"Remember when Lillia said that I was helping her because I engaged?" She began slowly, her voice catching on herself a bit." Well, none of that was true. It was lie that we agreed upon to keep my real secret safe.  The person I'm in love with, Phil, is someone that I would never be able to have here. Not with Mother and Father around. 

But in Montreal, nobody knows who I am. Nobody know who she is. We can be happy there; A fresh start for both of us. We can have a life; one like you have with Lizzy."  

"And you're here to say goodbye." I finish for her as she smiles through a few tears. Pushing herself up off the seat, Hannah turned to me, reaching out before hugged me tightly. 

"Goodbye brother," Hannah quietly tells me as she lets go and picked up her suitcases and began walking to the door. 

"Goodbye Hannah."

Her hand momentarily resists turning the door handle, but quickly overcomes it as she walked toward the carriage that awaited her outside. She is almost in the carriage as I catch her, my feet moving quickly along the floor. 

"Hannah!" I call out as I quickly make my way towards the carriage door. "Lizzy and I would love to come visit you and I would really like to stay in touch." 

Her smile was one of happiness growing, much as a spring flower opens. I could see how it came from deep inside to light her eyes and spread into every part of her. There was almost a slight twinge to it, like to ensure she would not weep. 

"I would like that very much."