Chapter 47

Three days later....

Phillip's Pov 

I don't think I can be positive upon how much time has past. I haven't ate a thing that had been brought to us and I was drinking the bare minimum amount of water just to keep me going.  I don't remember sleeping. The oil lamp was allowed on for perhaps around an hour every so often. 

Cassie attempted to keep everyone well tended to; it was more so she had something to do. I had spoken to Thomas a few times, about miscellaneous things. He explained to me that Lillia and grabbed him after his horse tried to stop her intervening with Cassie's carriage. They had been here around two to four days before we arrive. They had no way to tell the time but they kept their sanity. 

Me on the other hand? Not so much. The skin around my finger tips were calloused from attempting to pry to door open every time the horrific echo of Lizzy's voice radiated down the stair well.  Even in the silence the sound spiralled through my head, ensuring me that I would never forget the sound. 

There was a few thuds up stairs and some silence before the terror arrived. 

Her scream tore through me like a great shard of glass. I felt my eyes widen and pulse quicken, my heart thudding like a rock rattling in box. The scream came again, desperate, terrified... human. The blood drained from my face, before I was even aware of making a conscious decision my legs were pounding furiously to get towards the door; to pound my fists, to yell, to try to force down the solid door. 

Thomas attempted to pry me away from the door but I shook him off continuously. Cassandra, on the other hand, simply came up and placed her hand on my shoulder.  Her eyes were filled with sadness yet they somehow gleamed with bravery and courage. She's the youngest one here and she's the one coping with it all the best. I turned my head away from the solid wooden door and looked at Cassie. 

She didn't say anything however, she did pull me away from the door. Cassie took a moment to decide what she was going to say but before the words could even create some sort of format, some sort of sentence, she rushed to turn off the oil lamp at the sound of someone descending the staircase. The door swung open with a creak and there was a thud that ran around the room. Small beams of light flickered through the door but it wasn't enough to see what was presented to us. 

The wicked voice of Jenny Lind was the only sound in the room.  "Mr Carlyle I'm going to make myself very clear. Tell me where Phineas Taylor Barnum is and she will live, if you don't she'll die and the child along with her." The light quickly faded and as did  Miss Lind's voice.

"Cassie bring the lamp quickly." 

The oil lamp was brought over to where Miss Lind was previously standing. Curled up on the ground was a person. Someone who had been cut and bruised multiply times. Someone whose scent of metallic blood filled the room.  Their face may of been swollen and their body tortured but I knew who it was and I felt my heart get caught in my throat. 

It was Lizzy.