Chapter 29

Phillip's Pov 

Charity had waved us all away so she could walk with Anne, just to see how she was walking. It would take time for Anne to learn how to walk with crutches as her right leg would have to get used to holding onto more weight. She was shaky when she walked out here, but that is to be expected. But Charity wanted to take her to the beach and back just to see how her legs were holding up.

Lizzy and I decided that it was probably best for us to go and grab a few things for Anne. But Anne had made it clear before she left for her walk that she had to talk to us about something. I'm assuming the same something as it was the other night. 

Lightning flashed across the sky. Grey, dark clouds moved almost violently across the sky. Heading more towards the city, the same direction that we were travelling in. We were caught in the middle of it, there was no doubt about that. The heart of the storm.

Anyway, I sat upright with Lizzy laying across the seat, using my leg as a pillow. We didn't speak, it just felt good to be away from the chaos and everything. Sometimes it was just needed. I was running my fingers lazily through the waves of her hair. She looked as though she was almost falling asleep. She didn't sleep much last night. She tried to fool everyone saying that she slept well. But I know her. I know what she gets like when something is worrying her. 

Lizzy stirred slightly, letting her eyes flicker open once. Twice. Before forcing them open.  Bolting upright, almost giving me an uppercut to my chin with her elbow. 

"Woah. Woah Woah. What's wrong?" I hold her,  her skin was warm to touch but hand a sort of coldness to it. A cold sweat. An oxymoron Liz would of pointed out if I said it out loud.

"Why didn't I see it before? God! I'm so stupid." Lizzy rambled, pulling her fingers through the waves of her hair. 

"See what? Liz?" 

She kept rambling until I placed my cold hands on the side of her face. Something, again, we had worked out. When she, or myself, go on long tangents or get to caught up, the other just has to hold them to centre them  once again. "Breathe." I watched her eyes flick back to me, away from her thoughts as she realized that she got too caught up. It scared her. I know that. It scares me as well. The way we can get so caught up with what's happening in our heads, in our minds, our demons, that we can't differentiate from what's real or not real.  I watch her as she takes a deep breathe and comes back to a sort of calmness that she is used to. "Now, what's going on? What do we need to do" 

"We need to go talk to Anne. Like right now. Or Anne isn't going to be the only one who gets hurt." 

I yelled out to the driver to turn around and after a few goes, we were heading back into the exterior of the storm. I don't know what caused my gut to knot more; knowing that something bad is going to happen or the sheer fear that was laced in Lizzy's voice.