23

"I thought you would visit sooner, my love." A soft voice spoke pulling me out of a heavy sleep.

I opened my eyes slowly letting them adjust to the light. I laid there in silence as my beautiful mother did not seem to mind one bit.

She embroidered a picture so lovely it could bring one to tears

After a very long while she put down her work and stood.

"Come on." She said giving me a hand. I took her delicate hand and wondered how could something as wild as the northern winds and violent as I, could come from someone as enchanting and virtuous as her?

I stood from the soft bed dressed in a green dress exactly like the one my mother wore.

She put a light cloak over her shoulders and led me out of the room towards the balcony that led to the garden.

"What's that?" I asked as she walked ahead towards a raised basket and reached down.

"Oh just someone who wanted to say hello." She said standing up and held a small body in her arms.

"He likes to sleep out here. Under the shade of the tree. The birds calm him down." She said as a small silver haired child opened his eyes.

Such beautiful deep blue eyes. Eyes I could recognize anywhere.

"Alaric?" I asked even though I knew. My mother nodded and handed him to me.

"I wanted you to see him before you went back." She said as I smiled down at the child in my arms. I kissed his forehead as he pulled at my hair.

"Was it my fault?" I asked looking up towards my mother who stared at us with such sorrow.

"It's time for you to return." She said taking Alaric back as I longed for him to be back in my arms.

"Are the twins here?" I asked as she nodded.

"Your father has them." She said as she moved Alaric's hair out of his eyes.

"Was it my fault?" I asked again as she took a deep breath.