ECLIPSE OF EVIL PART 14

CHAPTER XIV

Daniel sprang up in a sitting position, disoriented and afraid. Millstone. Motel bed. He was fine. Nothing touched him since his meeting last night with the old man Pops. Daniel breathed easily but knew a trek in the back hills behind the motel was essential before he saw his friends again. Last night serious decisions demanding answers hounded him into a fitful sleep. Mountain solitude would provide clear thinking and peace. He rose from his bed, packed provisions, and left just as red dawn seared the sky.  He precluded the early rising, rapacious sisters and smiled at his evasion.

Daniel chose the narrow back street until it merged with the skirt of forest, which slowly inclined and broke through evergreen density.  There was little chance concerned friends would interrupt his thoughts in the valley’s hills opposite those shielding Silver Lake. Here Douglas saplings evenly spotted the sometimes grassy, sometimes rocky terrian. Daniel frequently stopped at rocky outcrops where cool air washed his face and whispered from his wind-bellowed shirt.

The morning was fraught with buttermilk clouds and active songbirds in open areas. Daniel searched for a place to rest.  Finally,
he chose a large shelf projecting from the mountainside like a wrecked flying saucer. He sat on the warmed surface, ate a belated granola breakfast, and listened to layers of high grass below sough like wind-blown wheat. Stretching flat on the smooth rock surface, Daniel adjusted his backpack under his head and submitted to last night’s phenomenon. Now that eagle sights, waving grass, heated rock smell, and whispering wind soothed his soul, he was ready for clear thought.

The pone call had to be an evil manifestation occasioned by the black cult founded and once led by Justus’ confused uncle. Maybe some members secretly took over. Maybe they were responsible for the terrors in town, not Pops. Why did the old man talk about Daniel dying unless involvement with Pops meant risking one’s life? Pops did have a horrific reputation. Was their significant association supposed to be permanent? Why should he consider Pops’ paranormal gifts as evil?  If Daniel didn’t view them and the man as good, what was his alternative?

Could he return home and face a disturbed, violent father, a mother who thought he was crazy, or a godless shrink? Why should he? In August, he would be eighteen. He had most of his possessions, including money and his Jeep. Maybe he could persuade Justus to help Pops. Afterward, he would return with his friends, find a job, and finish school, if Justus was amenable. In the meantime, he would discover what Pops had in mind.

Morally, he could not be ignore the old man. Once he discovered Pop's innocence, he had to help him. Besides, what made the old man magnetic, and where did his uncanny perception originate? Pops read Daniel’s thoughts perfectly at Dragon’s Lair. Therefore, it was unlikely he was wrong about the help Daniel and his friends were to bring him. If Daniel left Millstone before learning about their mission  and Pops’ innocence, his conscience would never rest.

Daniel made his decision. He would cut himself from his family, tell his friends about his encounter with Pops, and remain with them.  Justus would surely concede. Daniel discovered that beneath Justus’ coarse, abusive tongue was a good heart. He loyally protected Cory and offered Daniel sympathy. Besides, his new friend might provide insight about Daniel's decision. He dwelled on this while the breeze, the crisp air, and the view lulled him into peaceful slumber.

Daniel awoke, surprised and disturbed to see the somber sky of late afternoon. He shuddered, knowing darkness might trap him. The last time he braved the dark was a nightmare, and he had a flashlight with him then. Disillusionment with Justus and the burden of towering troubles caused the rash decision to be alone with his thoughts. Fear, loneliness, and gruesome images frayed his nerves along that black forest path. Later, he berated himself for his pride and self-pity. These frightening memories spurred him downhill in a zigzag, rabbit run.  Still, on his way down, he noticed a lightness he hadn’t felt for months.