ECLIPSE OF EVIL PART 4

CHAPTER IV

A sensation of eerie disquiet pressed Cory to inform Justus of his recent adventure, but Justus wasn’t properly sympathetic.

“So you found the girl, or she found you,” Justus said derisively. “She’s got military generals for parents who are mysteriously superstitious and probably dangerous—bad news! Those Loons are definitely loony. In trying to fix a poor girl’s problem, her problem fixed itself on you.  This is really something, Cory. I warned you, didn’t I?”

“It’s worse than that,” Cory admitted. “I’m responsible for her....”

“You’ve got to be kidding. Here's the biggest irony in the history of mankind. If your description about her naivete is correct, I’ll be responsible for you both when some big guy takes a crack at you for toting around a pretty, foolish cousin.”

“And I might as well tell you,” Cory added nervously.  “I was forced into taking Tammy to a carnival at Junction Friday.  Her parents set me up before I could say anything. How could I protest when Tammy screamed and clapped for joy?”

“That’s just great!” Justus said angrily.  “I knew it! Kiss our summer plans good-bye.  You and your cursed delusions of saving the world!”  Justus approached the couch, and Cory jumped as his friend took up a bloated cushion and popped it with his fist.  Foam snowed over them.

“Justus, sometimes your explosive behavior scares me,” Cory said, lugging in a deep breath.

“Good,” Justus said mercilessly, “I think you need some scaring to clear your thinking.

******

Justus awakened early Friday morning, firmly resolved not to allow anything to ruin his fishing trip.  He was busy with preparation near the side of the house when a mirage emerged from the forest and nearly floated next to the glistening aspens where it partly hid behind the white trunk.

“Is Cory here?” the mirage asked, timidly, softly.

It's that girl, Justus thought, annoyed. He gawked stupidly before he answered. “Uh, yeah, my friend’s inside.”

Cory came out and stopped short as the girl, with a knitted bag over one shoulder, approached him. Justus tried but failed to focus his eyes on Cory. The fabulous Indian trinkets snatched his attention.  

Hanging from her arms, ankles, and clothing, colorful beads transformed the girl into a walking showcase.  A beaded headband ran across her forehead, and her light-brown hair fell in two short ribbon-entwined braids in front, releasing long, curling strands of hair at the end.  A yellow, high-cut, drop-sleeve peasant blouse accentuated her dark complexion and petite form. Tied multicolored beads dangled from billowy navy-blue pants rolled just below the knee.  Maroon beads hung from armbands and ankle bands. The ankle bands spotlighted eggshell-white moccasins, and the sun burnished smooth, golden brown skin with a tint of copper.

Finally, Justus turned away, shaking his head at the powerfully attractive kid.  He knew Cory would have a grand time being responsible for an ornamental Pocahontas.

“Your parents let you wear that to the carnival?” Cory asked incredulously in a high-strung voice.

“Oh, no,” Tammy replied airily. “I wore a long Indian gown over this, and that’s what my parents saw when I went out.”

“What a devious kid,” Justus remarked.

“Well, put it back on,” Cory ordered.

“I can’t.  I left it in my hiding place near the house,” Tammy said, looking at the ground.  She perked up her head. “But it’s fun, you know. I made these myself!” She swept up beads between long, slim fingers and let them fall slowly, obviously proud of her work.

Cory stepped alongside Justus and said confidentially, “Too bad you’re not coming with me, Jus.  My cousin wants to attract the world, and I’m supposed to protect her from the hard characters that live around here.”