|Twenty-Two|

Natalie

*****

Miles' phone rang on Bluetooth as he was driving. "Hi Nicole, your sister is right next to me in the car." He glanced over at me, while I returned his magnetic smile.

"Hey Nicole. I said yes!" I screamed joyfully and she was screaming into her phone. "I was so shocked—especially, after you kept texting me to come to your house ASAP."

"Miles swore me to secrecy. I didn't want your moment ruined. We are all so excited. My sister is now going to be my sister-in-law, as well. It sounds pretty remarkable when you say it out loud," Nicole sighed delightfully.

"Congratulations little brother, you picked an amazing woman. Who knew we'd grow up and marry twin sisters? Mama is ecstatic, she loves Natalie. We're so happy for you." Skyler joined the conversation.

Miles masked his emotions welling up. "Thank you. It's been a special journey with my girl." He lifted my hand to his lips.

"Yes, thank you. I have to call my parents in Florida and tell Logan. There are so many people to share our engagement news with. I'm going to post it on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to my Author page. I'm marrying Miles the Adventurer." I eyed him with pride and a wide smile.

"All of the little girls are going to be upset. They may not come to my book signing tomorrow." I teased and Nicole had plenty of jokes.

"Mama wanted you to stop at the house to congratulate you and Natalie. I told her you're going to the Dunbars for the evening. Nicole and I were invited to come to dinner at their house too. So we'll just meet you there." Skyler added.

I put my hand under my chin contemplating. "Hmmm, this should be an interesting night. Okay, I have to call my parents, Auntie Maxine, and Uncle James on our way there. I'm sure they'll be happy. We'll see you in a little bit." I pressed end.

*****

"Miles, I can't do that to my dad."

"Do what?" He asked perplexed.

"I can't show Lucas and June my ring. And celebrate our engagement. Not before the two people who raised me. I need to see my mom and dad." I got misty eyed.

"I totally understand. I made sure to call your father, Benjamin, in Florida. I asked him first, for your hand in marriage. I asked Lucas, now that he's also in your life.

I grabbed my phone. "Nicole, I'm glad I caught you. I was thinking of taking a quick road trip to Florida. I want to give my mom and dad a huge hug and show them my ring. Are you and Skyler busy for the next couple of days?" I waited while biting on my thumbnail.

Miles looked over at me not knowing what to say. He quirked a brow. He never agreed to take me to Florida at the spur of the moment. And we have a book signing tomorrow.

I spun in my seat to face him. "I already know what you're thinking. But I really need to see my parents. I had no clue that we were getting engaged this morning. We'll have to postpone our visit with Lucas and June. I'll call my agent, and have her reschedule the book signing."

My eyes pleaded with him to say yes, as I covered his hand with mine. I gave him the most hopeful look that he couldn't possibly resist.

"Okay," he breathed.

"Let's at least stop by my mama and dad's house to see them. My mama is anxious to congratulate us in person. I need to pack a small bag and I'll have Skyler meet us there. My mama can watch Evelyn, while the four of us go to Florida." I knew that was important to him.

I called Nicole back to tell her our itinerary. She was excited too. It was going to be a little get away trip to Florida. My parents own a spacious home in a retirement community. They'll be thrilled to have us stay with them.

We pulled into the driveway and were met by my future in-laws. "I'm so happy darlin. I told you I would see you again," Amelia tried to wink, with tears dripping. She picked up my hand. "My son must really love you. That is a marvelous rock."

Miles joined us and she gave us both a tight squeeze. "Congratulations."

"Natalie, you're finally back. I'm overjoyed to have you join our family." Beau kissed my cheek.

"Thank you. Natalie Pennington, I still can't  believe it." I liked saying that, as I hugged him.

The other Penningtons pulled up. Skyler, Evelyn, and Nicole bolted out of the car. Nicole wrapped her arms around my neck and sobbed. "I knew Miles.... I knew you...," she couldn't finish her statement, as she whimpered.

"Daddy, mama's crying." Evelyn patted Skyler and pointed at Nicole.

"Yes, your mama is crying happy tears. Auntie is going to marry Uncle Miles the Adventurer." Skyler gave Miles a look filled with mischief, chuckling.

Evelyn put both hands on her cheeks and made a gasping sound. Then she started clapping. "Miles the Adventurer will be in our family. Yay!" She squealed, rather pleased.

"I sure will." He mussed Evelyn's curly hair. And winked like a prankish little boy at Skyler.

"I'm hurrying inside to pack a bag. Then I'll be ready to leave. We need to get on the road." Miles informed us.

*****

It was the best drive down to Florida. It was only a 5 hour 27 minute drive to Jacksonville. I was so happy to have my twin sister with me. She has become my best friend.

My mom started the water works as soon as she saw me. "My little girl is betrothed." She reads a lot of regency romance books.

Dad just stood still for a few seconds. "Miles, I wasn't crazy about you with my daughter in the beginning. But you have proven to be an amazing man. I'm very happy for you and my daughter. I like your whole family!" He extended his hand, then pulled Miles into a hug.

I was fine until I spied Logan open the screen door. "Nat, I couldn't miss the family reunion. Congratulations little sister. You had to marry my racing nemesis." He joked.

"No, I'm marrying Miles the Adventurer," I smiled slyly.

"Touché. Good one, Nat." Logan grinned.

Miles inched up behind me. "Hey Logan. Still sore about losing that race?"

"Not really, I'm just teasing. You're my friend and I'm happy to welcome you to our family." He went around me and gave Miles a bro hug.

"Great to see you Skyler and Nicole." He acknowledged them amongst our little gathering.

"We're so happy to be here. This is a special day," tears glazed Nicole's eyes.

"Let's all go inside. I made dinner and got a cake. I want to hear all about the proposal." My mom announced and grinned from ear to ear.

If she had more time, she would have planned an engagement Ball. Now, these are the people I want to celebrate my engagement with.

*****

                              Please don't forget to Vote and/or Comment ❤️