|Six|

Miles

*****

We entered the house and were greeted by two unfamiliar faces. A very attractive couple in their late fifties stood conversing with Logan, Skyler, and Nicole. They immediately stopped talking and turned their attention to Natalie and I.

The woman had dark auburn hair with rich brown eyes. She had dimpled cheeks and a full face. The man had black hair and emerald eyes. His face was craggy, with his furrowed eyebrows and eyes examining me. He made me a little nervous as he rubbed his chin with his large hand.

Natalie's eyes instantly grew large with recognition. "Mom and Dad. What are you doing here?" She lifted her chin with a puzzled expression.

"Natalie Bingham, is that any way to greet your parents? We flew here to be with you and meet your new family." Mrs. Bingham responded scoldingly. She seemed like a no nonsense kind of woman.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean that the way it sounded. Who's staying with Granny?"

"Now that's better. We got a nurse to stay with her, while we're gone." Her father hugged her, while closing his eyes and squeezing tight.

I extended my hand. "I'm Miles Pennington. It's nice to meet you, Mr. and Mrs. Bingham."

"Nice to meet you too, Miles. Please call us Judith and Benjamin. We just met your lovely parents. Logan told us that you met Natalie last year at a race. What a coincidence." Her mom was very friendly, speaking animatedly. Her father gave me a once over, before shaking my hand.

My mom inserted herself into the conversation. "Yes, I was so happy to meet Natalie and to find out the connection she had to my son, Miles. You two are welcome to stay at our house, since Skyler and Nicole are filled with guests." My mama very happily and generously offered.

"How kind, that would be lovely Amelia." Judith accepted the hospitality, reaching for Mama's hand. Those two will be buddies I'm sure.

Lucas approached Judith and Benjamin, cautiously. He let out a nervous breath. "Mr. and Mrs. Bingham, my name is Lucas Dunbar. I'm Natalie's father. This is my wife, June, my daughter, April, and her husband, Jace." He spoke pensively.

June gave a plastered on smile with her lips pursed. April and Jace advanced forward, stretching out there hands to greet the Binghams.

"Nice to meet you, everyone." Benjamin acknowledged. "My daughter informed us of your phone call, Mr. Dunbar. That's why we're here."

Natalie's mother gave a small smile. It seemed a little uncomfortable for the Binghams to meet Lucas. Judith narrowed her eyes at June, unconsciously chewing on her lip.

Mr. Bingham nudged his wife. "Yes, nice meeting you all." Judith echoed her husbands sentiments.

Natalie went and got Mimi, who was busy in the kitchen. "This is my grandma, Mimi Dunbar." Natalie stood behind her holding her shoulders. She seemed so proud to introduce her new grandma.

"I've heard so much about you Mimi. I'm so happy to finally meet you." Natalie's mom embraced Mimi.

She dried her eyes with an embroidered handkerchief. "You remind me of my mom." Then her tears fell even harder.

"How is your mama? Natalie told me you moved to Florida to take care of her." Mimi took Judith's hand, looking with concern-filled eyes. There is no one like Mimi.

"Thank you for asking, she was diagnosed with Dementia. She recognizes us less and less. It's heartbreaking," her statement trailed off.

Her brows pulled together. Mimi nodded her head while listening and patted her hand warmly.