Chapter Nine

Patton was a bit nervous, he could admit that. He'd never in a million years thought he'd be doing this, but here he was, sitting in the waiting room of a tattoo parlor. Not just any tattoo parlor, the one where his boyfriend of one year worked. 

He and Virgil had been together for over an entire year, and the florist could say with certainty that it was so far the best relationship he'd ever been in. His boyfriend understood his strange quirks and after a while became comfortable enough to share his own. They could talk openly about their concerns with each other if there ever were any, which led to almost no fights. Patton was a touchy person and although Virgil typically wasn't, they'd found a middle ground they were comfortable with. Honestly, neither of them had ever been happier. 

Ever since he'd made the special bouquet of flowers for him, the tattoo artist had started designing a special tattoo for him. Virgil had been scared to ask if he was comfortable with the idea of getting a tattoo, but fortunately for him, Patton had brought it up on his own a few weeks ago, and now here he was. 

Virgil was going to be doing his tattoo of course, but that didn't mean the florist wasn't a little bit nervous. He'd been having frequent discussions leading up to this about the least painful places to put tattoos, how long it would take, if it was a good idea. 

He took a deep breath, reminding himself that he wanted to do this. It was true. Patton had been curious about getting a tattoo for a while, but when he began to date an actual tattoo artist, it peaked his interest. He already knew that if he was going to get one it, it would have to be a flower, and Virgil had designed a beautiful one that was perfect. 

"Hey," a soft voice said, pulling him from his thoughts. Patton looked up to see his boyfriend smiling down at him. "Ready?"

He nodded firmly, swallowing as he stood up. He couldn't help the primal fear of something new and of course, the needles he knew would be involved, but he pressed through it and followed the tattoo artist into a room.

There was a comfy chair waiting for him and a bunch of tools that he knew practically nothing about. "Sit down, Pat, do you want water or anything?" Virgil asked as he set up the station.

"Y-Yeah, a water would be nice," he replied softly. He nodded and fetched him a cold bottle from the fridge. As the florist drank it down, his boyfriend knelt down a little to look him in the eye and take his hand. "W-What?"

"Nothing, I can just tell you're nervous," he said. "You have every right to be, but I promise there's no reason to be. It's perfectly normal to be a bit scared though. If you're not sure about this, we can reschedule this for a later date or just cancel it completely-"

Patton shook his head and squeezed his hand. "No, I definitely want to do this."

The tattoo artist nodded and continued setting everything up, taking his time to make his boyfriend feel more at ease. About five minutes later, the needle was prepped, the outline was on Patton's upper arm, and Virgil was prepared to start applying the ink. "Take a deep breath and relax for the first prick, okay?" he instructed.

His boyfriend nodded and closed his eyes. He steadied his breath and focused on relaxing his muscles. The pain wasn't as bad as he thought it would be, and he was soon smiling at Virgil as he watched him draw the beautiful design on his arm. 

Two hours later, he had a blue honeysuckle on his arm.