Chapter One

Patton Valentine was a man known for his kindness and big heart. He owned a flower shop, the best in the city according to his customers, though he figured they were just being nice. Though he wouldn't brag about it, he actually did run the most popular flower shop in town. He always had the perfect bouquets and arrangements for the seasons or for that special someone; he even took specialized orders in the case that someone had something specific in mind.

The man loved flowers more than he loved chocolate, and that was saying something. He loved his job so much that he'd taken a chance and invested in a building with an attached greenhouse and upstairs apartment. This way he could live above the shop and grow the flowers himself, meaning producing them would be cheaper than ordering them.

He was never sure why he wanted to be a florist, but he figured it had something to do with all the colors and the meanings behind each flower. Each of them was special. Each of them said something special about them.

Patton wiped sweat away from his forehead as he finished planting a new row of gardenias in his greenhouse. His gloves were stained with dirt, and he was certain he had smudges on his face from the few times he'd wiped it. It was a relief that he didn't have to work the shop today. His other employees had it handled today.

"Hey Pat!" someone called from behind him, coming into the greenhouse from the shop. He looked over his shoulder, smiling in a greeting. It was his assistant manager Matt. "I wanted to talk to you real quick about something. I'm on my break and I... I think I want to go get a tattoo."

His milk chocolate colored eyes widened at his words. "Oh! Good for you!" he said, nodding with encouragement as he turned back to the flowers. "What were you thinking about getting?"

"Well, that's what I wanted to talk to you about. I want to get a flower, but I'm torn between two different types of flowers. I was wondering what you think would fit me the best," he explained, running his fingers through the wavy bangs that hung under the beanie he typically wore. "Plus, you're my boss, so I want to make sure you approve."

"Matt, you know I'm super lenient on tattoos and piercings and all of that stuff," the florist said as he spritzed the newly planted gardenias with water. "If you're planning on getting a flower, you've got nothing to worry about."

He nodded and rubbed the back of his neck. "Alright, so what flower do you think I should get? I'm thinking I'm gonna get it at the top of my spine."

"Which two were you considering?" Patton asked, smiling at him kindly.

"A red anemone or a boat orchid," Matt said.

The florist thought for a moment, letting his gaze wander along the seemingly countless rows of flowers in the greenhouse. "You remind me more of a boat orchid," he said finally, turning his face toward his assistant manager. "They're typically dark red, but not in a way that brings fear or lust. It's a warm garnet-like color, and you're a very warm person."

The younger man smiled brightly, flushed slightly from the compliments. "Thank you so much, Patton, you're the best!" he said as he turned and hurried toward the exit.

"I hope it doesn't hurt too much!" he called after him, waving happily.

As soon as he disappeared back into the shop, he dropped his hand and his smile. It wasn't uncommon that people asked him to tell them what flower they reminded him of. It wasn't uncommon that people asked him to help pick out flowers for their lover. This was where the one thing he disliked about his job came into the light.

No one ever asked about him.