Chapter Two

When you're working at a tattoo parlor, you see all sorts of people. There's those that are comfortable with themselves, coming in for a new addition to their reasonable collection or a touch up of some kind. There's those masochist types that have their entire bodies covered head to toe and still manage to come up with a new place to put one.

Sometimes people come in with not a single drop of ink anywhere on them, looking ridiculously nervous and out of place. Of course, they're the type that end up typically becoming the comfortable ones eventually. Then there's the drunks, the ones that stumble in at terrible hours, making a ruckus and laughing far too much at things that frankly aren't funny. They always want the most ridiculous tattoos and typically regret their decision the next day.

It's interesting though, seeing all these people. Sometimes you find little details in what they want or how they behave that tell you about them. For example, the nervous ones are sometimes religious.

Catching those isn't difficult; they're often checking their phone each second leading up to when it starts, as if they're expecting text messages from family members. Family members that most likely don't agree with their choice, hence one of the reason's why they're so nervous. They're usually conservatively dressed. Their hair is usually neat and short if they're male and a longer length if they're female.

Whenever these ones have an appointment with Virgil, he tries his best to make them feel comfortable with their decision. He talks to them, despite his discomfort with social interaction. It's amusing to him to see the change in their expression when he talks softly to them and smiles.

Virgil Black isn't exactly the most approachable person on the outside. He wore all black, his hair was dyed a deep purple, he wore eye shadow under his eyes rather than on his eyelids. Sometimes he even wore dark lipstick and leather. When his body wasn't completely covered, one could see his tattoos, and while he didn't have an unreasonable amount of them, he had enough to make people wary of him. He also wore black gauges in his ears and kept his nails painted black at all times. When he was feeling extra dangerous, he'd even put in his other piercings, which included a second stud and two cartilage piercings in his upper ear. He was intimidating.

But when people got to know him, they knew he was an anxious young man with a lot of self confidence issues. He had a dark history, having been given up for adoption at birth. He had no idea who his real parents were. His last name wasn't even his real last name; he gave it to himself once he entered school under his first adopted family.

He refused to use their last name, knowing that he didn't fit their cookie cutter mold of a perfect family. Sure enough, he was sent back to the orphanage within the first couple months of his stay.

He moved from family to family, never settling down because he knew they'd never accept him for him. Virgil eventually outgrew the orphanage system and he was sent off into the world on his own. He went to art school under multiple lucky scholarships and became a tattoo artist. He wouldn't change his career for anything, he just wished he could feel more comfortable with himself.

Very few knew his story, many others were too scared to ask, and he couldn't blame them. He just wished that people would give him a chance to be something other than the darkly dressed tattoo artist.