Chapter Seven

Virgil waited anxiously outside of the restaurant they'd agreed to meet at, playing with the sleeves of his leather jacket and feeling as though everything that could possibly go wrong was going to go wrong. His face was itchy, but he couldn't scratch it because he'd totally ruin his makeup. Speaking of the makeup, he wasn't sure he should've worn it on this first date; Patton seemed like an innocent and sweet man, and he was worried that the makeup might scare him off from wanting to go on more dates with him in the future if all went well today. That was... if all went well today.

He checked the time on his phone again. The florist should be arriving any moment now, which only heightened his anxiety. What if he didn't know what to say? What if he offended him or something? What if he was overdressed or under-dressed?

"Hey Virgil!" a cheery voice interrupted his thoughts. He looked up, seeing Patton approaching him with a bright smile. He was dressed smartly but not overly formal. He wore a blue, short-sleeved button-up with white suspenders and a white bow tie, his legs covered by white jeans. He looked adorable without a doubt. The florist was smiling at him as he stopped in front of him. "Am I late?"

"No, no, I- um- I got here early," he replied, blushing a little. Virgil pulled a small bouquet of blue honeysuckle flowers and handed it to him. "I thought you'd like these, I remember you mentioning them being your favorite."

Patton beamed, looking absolutely shocked that he knew his favorite flower. He took them from the darkly dressed man and inhaled their fresh scent. "These are lovely! Thank you!"

"And I did get them from your shop, I just made sure to pick them up when you weren't working the store," he added, looking down at his shoes as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Your shop has the best flowers, and I wasn't sure if it would be an insult to a florist to buy flowers from someone else's shop?"

"Oh, don't be silly, I wouldn't have been offended!" the other man giggled. "But thank you, Virgil, I love them."

The tattoo artist led the way into the restaurant, feeling his legs shaking a little and they didn't stop until he sat down. Patton seemed much calmer than he was. When he was lifting his glass of water to his lips, he managed to spill a bit of it on himself, making the florist giggle a little as he flushed.

"S-Sorry, I'm just super nervous," he admitted. "I haven't been on a date in a while. You're the first guy I've been interested in since high school."

His eyes widened. "Wow, that's a long time, I'm honored!" Patton replied, smiling that same cheerful smile. "I myself have been pretty busy and you don't exactly meet a lot of people when you're in a greenhouse most of the day."

"Well, I'm glad I got to meet you, you're a really nice guy," he said honestly. The florist blushed but held his gaze as he smiled. "I would like to get to know you better, obviously."

"Well! I love cartoons! Like Avatar the Last Air Bender, She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, Steven Universe!" he gushed. "I just think they're so much fun and so colorful! They don't have to obey the laws of reality either, which I think makes it more interesting, but that's just me."

Virgil nodded in agreement, smiling at his enthusiasm. "I tend to agree, although I do like some horror movies now and then."

"Oh, I'm super scared of horror, if I ever watched one with you I'd be hiding in your chest the whole time," he said with a chuckle. The other man laughed a little too, his nerves easing as they continued to talk. This would be okay.