Chapter Six

It had been a month since Virgil Black stumbled into the flower shop owned by the renowned florist Patton Valentine. He'd gone back several times to purchase flowers, but he was always looking for him from the moment he entered the store to the second he stepped outside. His luck hadn't been very good lately though, seeing as Patton always seemed to be busy with another customer when he arrived.

Today, he was determined to get there at a time that it wasn't busy, so he'd have an opportunity to do what he'd been wanting to do since the moment he'd laid eyes on him. Virgil was going to ask him out on a date.

The tattoo artist was nervous as he walked toward the flower shop, hands shaking slightly as he neared it. What if he said no? What if he was straight? What if he made a fool of himself in front of everyone and was never able to show his face in the shop again? What if he'd misjudged the florist's personality and he wasn't actually as kind as he thought? What if he had a significant other already?

Shaking out his head, he ignored such invasive and troubling thoughts. He was already almost there, he couldn't back down now.

Virgil paused as he reached the door. Taking a deep breath, he steeled his nerves the best he could and headed inside. The jingling of the bell pierced through his ears and felt louder than usual, which wasn't a good sign. Typically when small sounds hurt his head it meant he was getting close to panicking territory. He focused and calmed himself.

"Good afternoon! How may I help you?" a bright eyed employee asked him, smiling as she approached.

The tattoo artist adjusted his leather jacket as he cleared his throat. "Well, I was hoping to speak to Patton," he said. He hoped he wouldn't need to come up with some explanation.

"Oh! He's back in his office right now, but if you don't mind waiting a few minutes, I can go get him for you," the employee offered.

Virgil nodded gratefully and she hurried off toward the back. He let out a relieved sigh as he tapped his boot against the shiny tile floor, anxious as he waited.

Patton was simply going through some papers when Alice entered his office. "Excuse me sir, but a customer's asking for you."

"Oh? What for?" he wondered, spinning around in his chair with wide eyes. "There's not a problem is there? I should hope not considering how overwhelmed with these special orders I am-"

"He didn't seem to have a complaint," Alice supplier. "He's apparently talked to you before? Purple hair? Punk dude with tattoos?"

The florist's eyes went wide as a slight blush rose to his cheeks. "Oh! I know him," he said, sighing with relief. "I've helped him a couple times. I wonder what he wants..."

Standing up, he hurried to find out.

Virgil swallowed as the door to the back swung out and the female employee returned to work. Following her was the beautiful and smiling man he remembered to be Patton Valentine. The owner of the shop walked straight toward him and offered his hand along with a smile.

"Good afternoon, Virgil right?" he asked for clarification. The tattoo artist nodded shyly. "What can I help you with?"

"Well- um- this is a little bit hard for me to say because I'm not very good at this," Virgil began, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. "But I was wondering if you were seeing anyone right now?"

Patton frowned a little with confusion. "No, I'm single, why do you ask?"

"Well,  I was hoping that you might be interested in going on a date with me sometime?" the tattoo artist asked.

His cheeks were bright red as the florist stared in surprise. "Oh..." he whispered, a blush of his own rising into his face. "That... that would be awesome, um, here, I'll give you my number."

He took out a pen and took Virgil's hand in his own, scribbling the numbers on his skin. "Just shoot me a text or give me a call."

Blushing, he nodded and headed for the door as Patton headed for his office. Both of them were flustered and giddy over the idea of going on a date with the other. Both of them let out happy sighs to themselves, not being able to wait for them to go on a real date.