Chapter Eighteen

"What are you doing here in the middle of the night?" asked Sasuke emotionlessly.

Sakura looked down guiltily and bit her lip. "I...I knew that if you'd leave the village, you'll pass here so I waited for you..."

"Get out of here and go back to sleep," demanded Sasuke coldly.

Sakura gulped, tears slipping down her eyes. "Why won't you say anything? Why do you always keep so quiet? You never say a single word to me."

"I don't need you to look after me..." said Sasuke.

"Remember the times with me, Naruto and Kakashi-sensei? They were happy times...I enjoyed it...I know about your past, Sasuke. Revenge won't make you happy. It won't bring you or anyone else happiness."

"I know..." said Sasuke bluntly. "But...I chose a different path from you guys..."

Sakura erupted. "Please Sasuke, stay! Don't go! You won't regret it! Every day will be filled with happiness! Me, you, Naruto and Kakashi-sensei! So please stay or take me with you at least..." she pleaded desperately.

"You...really are...annoying..."

Sakura's eyes widened and she held in a gasp. "Don't leave!" she screamed. "If you do, I'll scream!"

Sasuke sped behind Sakura while she stood rooted to the spot in shock.

"Sakura..." he said softly. "Thank you..."

In one swift movement, he knocked her out and lay her on the bench. The Sound Four appeared.

"Eat this," ordered Sakon, holding a brown pill. "You will gain power."

Sasuke ate it without hesitation and started groaning. The Sound 4 quickly trapped him in a barrel with a protective barrier.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Kotetsu and Izumo rushed frantically back to the Hokage tower when they received news from Sakura that Sasuke had left the village.

Immediately, Tsunade had summoned Naruto to her office so he could receive an A-rank mission: retrieving Sasuke.

As the many of the top jonin and chunin were away on missions, Naruto was given the task of finding some suitable genin to bring back Sasuke.

The first candidate was Shikamaru. His strategic thinking would be needed. Choji was also chosen as he could work alongside with Shikamaru.

Next was Kiba. His taijutsu would be of great help along with his tracking skills. Lastly, Naruto chose Neji. His Byakugan would be useful for scouting.

"Alright," addressed Naruto as he gathered the genins. "This mission is extremely important. Although you guys are not extremely close with Sasuke, it is our job as Konoha shinobi to bring back our valuable comrade.

Okay, I've made up a formation, sorry Shikamaru for taking the job away from you. First in line is Kiba. you've got a keen sense of smell so you can detect Sasuke or any traps.

Second is Shikamaru. He is officially team leader so he can give out orders by looking at his hand signals. Third is me. Out of all of you, I have the best reaction time so I can assist both front and back.

Fourth is Choji. You don't have speed but you have power so basically, you're the striker. Lastly, Neji. your Byakugan can check for blind spots. Okay, over to Shikamaru."

Shikamaru sighed. "Thanks, Naruto. That's the formation we'll be going for, I couldn't have explained it any better. We wasted plenty of time, let's go! As proud leaf shinobi, we will bring Sasuke back! This is even a job I cannot sleep on!"