Chapter 19

Tucker pulled me outside once Eli resumed his cooking

Tucker pulled me outside once Eli resumed his cooking. I barely had time to grab my orange juice before he whisked me away.

There I was, for the second time in 24 hours, standing in the backyard with Tucker Joy. This time, however, I was barefoot. And wearing fuzzy Spider-Man pajama pants.

"Tucker?" I asked as the older boy began to pace.

"Hm?"

His fingers ran through his hair anxiously and I wondered if I should get Ben. It seemed like Tucker was having a nervous breakdown. How did werewolves handle nervous breakdowns? When Tucker looked back up at me, his eyes were glowing and his fists were balled in rage. So I answered my own question and the answer was: not well.

I cleared my throat. "So I was right, then? Owein was talking about mistletoe."

Tucker didn't stop moving. His fists clenched then unclenched repeatedly. With a loud crack, he slammed his fists down on the picnic table and I jumped. Wooden shards splintered off the edge of the table.

He slammed them down again. Harder. 

"He tried to kill my brother- his own nephew! I swear to God I will make him regret the day he ever-"

"Tucker," I interjected, "how do you know it was Owein who attacked Eli? Maybe I heard wrong."

His head cocked to the side.

"Do you think you heard wrong?"

"Well, no. But-"

"And the woman you saw. Red-haired? Tall? Scrawny?"

I simply nodded, wary of the fury in his voice.

"She's a hunter. She's been trying to hunt my family for years and Owein just provided her the method to do just that."

"Mistletoe?"

Tucker nodded. "One of the best-kept secrets of wolfkind. Werewolves used to use mistletoe as a way to mark themselves so other wolves could recognize them in their human form. It leaves a blue scar on our human form."

He sighed, sounding exhausted.

"In the hands of a hunter? Mistletoe can help identify wolves when they're human and weaker. Or it can poison the wolf from the inside out."

"And here I thought it was used at Christmas parties for lonely drunk people," I muttered.

He watched as I sat at the table. After a moment, he joined me. Again I was forced to process new information too quickly. Why would Owein send people to attack his own nephew? Eli's barely a teenager, he posed no threat to Owein.

"Why?" I asked after a moment.

Tucker seemed to understand exactly what I was asking. I watched as he rustled his hands through his dark, curly hair. It was unruly since he'd just woken up.