Chapter 5

It seemed to take forever for the sun to set. Shady tried falling asleep, but she was too anxious. She glanced at the clock, it was two thirty pm. Shady groaned and rolled off the bed, she paced the room for a few moments.

"Ugh," she said, flopping on the bed again. "I'm BORED. Why can't it be midnight already?"

Patience, Shady. Vocivus told her. Why don't you go do something to pass the time?

"Like what?" She asked.

Why don't we go explore the cellar? He suggested. We've never really been down there.

"Good idea." She said, getting up. "We might find something awesome!"

She ran down the stairs and through the hallway. She ran into the kitchen and opened up a door on the far side of the room. There was a staircase behind the door, Shady walked down the stairs and into the cellar. It was dark down there, but that didn't matter since Shady had night vision. She glanced around, there wasn't much in the cellar except a single bookcase in a corner of the room. She walked over and took one of the books off the shelf, she blew the dust off the cover and read the title: Demonic Magic

"Magic?" She asked. "What is this?"

Shady opened to the first page and read the table of contents, hoping to find something useful.

Ice ... 01

Shadow ... 97

Fire ... 140

Wind ... 201

Shady flipped open to page 140. The headline read Fire Magic.

Maybe there's something that can help you find the murderer. Vocivus said.

"I hope so." Shady said.

Suddenly, a cold breeze blew through the cellar, but there were no windows open! The pages of the book started to flip in the wind, then wind stopped, and everything was still. Shady read the title of the page the book had stopped on: "Flame Visions?" Shady asked. "What are those?"

Images created from fire. Vocivus explained.

Shady smiled. "I could use it to show Drake what the murderer looks like!" She said excitedly. "All I need to do is follow the instructions."

She quickly read the instructions, then she set the book down and stood in the middle of the cellar. She held up both hands out in front of her, palms up. A few sparks flew from her fingertips, then flames burst into life, the flames turned into a blazing fire... But nothing happened.

Maybe you're doing it wrong. Vocivus said. You need to concentrate on what the murderer looks like.

Shady nodded and closed her eyes, the picture of the man in her head. A raging inferno erupted from her hands, the fire twisted and turned, until it looked exactly like the man that had killed Shady's parents.

Shady stared at the flames in awe, she had never thought that she could use her fire for anything other than cooking her dinner, but now she was conjuring images from fire.

Shady slumped to the ground like a sack of flour, suddenly feeling exhausted.

Using your fire drains our energy. Vocivus said. You've never felt the effects before because you didn't use it as much. We may want to go sleep.

Shady nodded and slowly walked up the stairs, she glanced back at the cellar. Something black moved in the corner of her eye, but when she turned her head to see what it was, there was nothing there.

It's just my imagination. Shady decided. She continued to walk up the stairs, unaware of the bright green eyes watching her closely.