Chapter 3

Shady opened the window, it was almost eleven and the full moon was high in the night sky, surrounded by billions of stars.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Shady asked.

Very. Vocivus replied. It's a perfect night.

"It's about to get better." Shady told him. "This time we won't be alone."

Shady swung her feet over the window sill and dropped out of the house with her wings fanned out. The wind pressed up against her wings, allowing her to glide through the air. She soared up above the trees and circled back to the front of her house.

From the outside the old house appeared uninhibited, its paint was peeling and a few windows were shattered. Humans never went near the old place, which was perfect for someone who didn't want to be found.

As Shady rounded the corner she spotted Drake standing on the porch, waiting. He spotted her and waved. Shady landed a few feet away from him and walked over.

"Hi!" Drake said. "What are we going to do tonight?"

Shady grinned, showing the fangs where her canines were supposed to be. "Come with me," She said, starting to walk back around the house. "I want to show you something."

Shady led Drake around the back of her house and into the forest behind it. The path was over grown with weeds due to nobody using it.

"Are we almost there?" Drake asked after they had walked for quite awhile.

"Actually," Shady said, pushing some bushes out of the way. "We're here."

Shady walked out of the trees into a clearing with a huge pond. The light of the stars and full moon reflected on the surface of the clear water, lighting up the entire clearing.

"Wow," Drake breathed. "It's beautiful."

He glanced at Shady, she guessed he could see her clearly now. He hadn't been able to see her in the dark house or on the porch, but she had been because she had night vision. His eyes widened when he saw the tear in her jacket on her right arm, and the long pink scar.

"What happened to your arm?" He asked as they walked down to the edge of the pond.

"It happened two years ago," Shady explained. "I was walking home when I got a text message. It said my parents were dead, and then someone cut my arm with a blade coated in cobra poison. It almost killed me, but just as I was about to die Vocivus saved my life by possessing me. I promised myself I would make that man pay, but I never found him. That scar was left by the blade..."

Shady and Drake were silent for quite awhile. "What happened to your brother?" Shady asked, breaking the silence. "How did he almost die?"

Drake looked down at his feet. "Dan didn't almost die when he turned Demonic, it was Derkaz who almost died." He said. "He had just gotten into a fight with another demon, and he lost. He was dying, so he chose to possess a human, my brother, to stay alive." Drake tightened his hand into a fist. "Daniel was never the same after that, he became vicious and mean."

As Shady listened she became more and more nervous. Vocivus, she asked mentally. Didn't you say you got into a fight with Derkaz before he possessed someone?

Yes, Vocivus said. I'm afraid it's my fault that Drake's brother was possessed....

What if he finds out?! Shady asked, starting to panic. I don't want to lose my only friend!

Don't worry, Vocivus said. He won't find out if we don't tell him.

Drake glanced at the watch on his wrist. "Oh darn!" He shouted, jumping up. "It's three in the morning! I have to go..."

Shady stood up. "Alright," she said. "Maybe we could do this at the same time next week?"

Drake nodded. "That would be alright." He said. "Bye, Shady."

Shady waved. "Bye..." She said as he disappeared into the trees.

She glanced over her shoulder at the horizon, there was a slight hint of light above the trees. Shady fanned open her wings and took off into the sky. Her fiery hair whipped about in the wind as she tried to get to her house before the sun rose. She flew through the window and slammed it shut, drawing the curtains just as the sun peeked over the trees.